Friday, July 30, 2010

Siren by Tricia Rayburn

Siren
by Tricia Rayburn



Seventeen-year-old Vanessa Sands is afraid of everything—the dark, heights, the ocean—but her fearless older sister, Justine, has always been there to coach her through every challenge. That is, until Justine goes cliff-diving one night near the family’s vacation house in Maine, and her lifeless body washes up on shore the next day.

Though her parents hope that they’ll be able to find closure back in Boston, Vanessa can’t help feeling that her sister’s death wasn’t an accident. After discovering that Justine was keeping a lot of secrets, Vanessa returns to Winter Harbor, hoping that Justine’s boyfriend might know more. But Caleb has been missing since Justine’s death.

Soon, it’s not just Vanessa who’s afraid. All of Winter Harbor is abuzz with anxiety when another body washes ashore, and panic sets in when the small town becomes host to a string of fatal, water-related accidents in which all the victims are found, horrifically, grinning from ear to ear.

Vanessa turns to Caleb’s brother, Simon, for help, and begins to find herself drawn to him. As the pair try to understand the sudden rash of creepy drownings, Vanessa uncovers a secret that threatens her new romance—and will change her life forever.

A seductive paranormal romance full of unexpected twists, Siren is certain to make a big summer splash.


Rating: A+

Source: Author.
Review:

Siren essentially has everything you could want in a story. It has a mystery, a romance, a gothic vibe, a tragdey, the paranormal, an intriguing locale. Honestly, I could get lost in the world of Siren and never come out of it.

I got pulled into Vanessa's story, her feelings and emotions drew me in and wouldn't let me go. I was turning the pages frantically wanting to know what was going to happen and just how it was going to end.

From the very first chapter we're shown how important Vanessa and Justine's relationship is. It's haunting to read about, those first few chapters where we have so many questions and so little answers. All we have is Vanessa's raw emotion to pull us into the story and you're hooked from there.

I was dying to know what was going on in Winter Harbor.

The string of random deaths and constant storms added a sense of urgency to the novel while creating that haunting aspect that literally had me unable to put my book down. Winter Harbor seemed like the perfect small town where something like that would occur.

I loved Simon and Vanessa's relationship and the gradual transition they had from friend to something more. It was sweet and Simon was such an amazing character. He was protective without being overly so, and he was genuinely a good guy. I loved that about him.

It was amazing to watch Vanessa's growth from the first page to the last. She goes a long way from the scared insecure girl she started out as and I loved watching her growth process.

There's just so many things I could say about this book! I loved it and I can't wait for the sequel.

I have so many questions that need answering, plus I'm already missing Simon and Vanessa.

Next summer could not come soon enough...

-Christina

6 comments:

Laura @ A Jane of All Reads said...

This is on my TBR but I haven't picked up a copy yet! I think you just changed that. Great review!

Unknown said...

Just bought this one last week, and I'm so excited to see that you loved it! Blog-hopping back by, and I already follow. :-) And I thought Kody Keplinger's debut was pretty awesome. too.

Anne said...

I love how different it was from my usual selection. I loved the romance in this book! The attraction between Simon and Vanessa is intense at times (which I love). I cant wait for book two!

I am a new follower. I reviewed this book on my blog as well. If you get a chance Hop on over to http://bringmeanotherbook.blogspot.com/ and check out my blog.

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Great review! I've heard loads about this one and I really want to read it :)

Tina said...

Hmm, it sounds good. I love the way that authors subtly develops the character along the way, making them a stronger character, but also amore familiar and relatable one.

I think you really captured that about the book in your review. Thank you.

Happy reading!
●▬▬▬๑۩Tina @ Book Couture۩๑▬▬▬▬●

Tales of Whimsy said...

oOOOOOOOOO great review. I really need to read this.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison