Monday, July 5, 2010

An Abundance of Katherines by: John Green

An Abundance of Katherines
by: John Green


When it comes to relationships, everyone has a type. Colin Singleton’s type is girls named Katherine. He has dated–and been dumped by–19 Katherines. In the wake of The K-19 Debacle, Colin–an anagram-obsessed washed-up child prodigy–heads out on a road trip with his overweight, Judge Judy- loving friend Hassan. With 10,000 dollars in his pocket and a feral hog on his trail, Colin is on a mission to prove a mathematical theorem he hopes will predict the future of any relationship (and conceivably win the girl).


Rating: B+

Review:

I love John Green. Even if he didn't post insanely funny YouTube videos, have an adorable dog named Willy, or have amazing banter with his brother Hank I would still love him because his books rock.

Plain and simple, I don't know if I can say it any better than that.

What I really loved about An Abundance of Katherines was the characters, Green has a real knack at knowing his characters and they're hilariously funny people.

Colin is a child prodigy but is obsessed with becoming a genius and leaving something behind to change the world. His relationship math theorem may just be what he's looking for. I loved Colin, for his socially awkward, can't tell stories self, and I felt sorry for him. 19 Katherines. That's intense, and he blames himself completely for all of the breakups.

Hassan was a best friend that I myself wish I had. He was at times completely mental, but he had a good heart and was loyal to Colin even when he didn't deserve it.

John Green always makes his characters feel human. He shows us the human things about them, things that make someone, someone. Like Hassan and his borderline obsession with Judge Judy, and how Lindsey chews her thumb when she's stressed, little things like that make them feel real.

This book had everything from romance, to humor, to a feral hog and hornets. It has something for everyone, and it's the perfect introduction for those who haven't yet read John Green.


-Christina

2 comments:

Erica said...

I've heard such fabulous things about John Green, yet I still have yet to read one of his books. I really need to get around to that one of these days.

Raíla said...

I never read any of his books, but as recently I've been noticing how great they sound by reading a lot of reviews and quotes, I'm seriously thinking about reading them. And 'Looking For Alaska' is the one I'm most looking forward to get! I've read a quote that made me say "awwww!". Lol.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison