Monday, July 26, 2010

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer

Nightshade
by Andrea Cremer

While other teenage girls daydream about boys, Calla Tor imagines ripping out her enemies’ throats. And she wouldn’t have it any other way. Calla was born a warrior and on her eighteenth-birthday she’ll become the alpha female of the next generation of Guardian wolves. But Calla’s predestined path veers off course the moment she saves the life of a wayward hiker, a boy her own age. This human boy’s secret will turn the young pack's world upside down and forever alter the outcome of the centuries-old Witches' War that surrounds them all


Rating: B
Source: We Love YA ARC tours

Review:

I liked this book but I didn't absolutely adore it which I think is due in part because it is the first in a series and I wasn't in the paranormal mood while reading it.

I really loved the idea of Calla being the Alpha and of a forbidden love and a love triangle but it took me a while to get into the story and maybe it was because I hadn't read a paranormal in a while but I could just never fall into the story like I was hoping I could.

Calla is supposed to marry Ren but yet is falling in love with Shay and I had a bit of a problem understanding why. I really liked Ren, he had character, personality and even though he could be a jerk at times I believed he genuinely cared for Calla where as Shay I just didn't like. I couldn't for the life of me understand why Shay was more appealing than Ren and I'm sure many will disagree with me on this point but Shay just seemed kind of boring, too nice even.

I didn't really understand the world until about halfway through, like I had no idea who the Keepers were or why they were special or why Seekers were bad and I wish this had been explained more with the history closer to the beginning of the book.

I didn't see the twist at the end and that was interesting, the entire final chapter left me with tons of questions for the next in the series.

I really liked Andrea Cremer's writing style though throughout the book, and the inside chapter designs of the moon's phases made me freak out when I noticed them.

I'll probably read this book again when it comes out in October but I'll definitely read the next in the series as I really did like Nightshade, I just don't think I was in the proper state of mind to be fully engulfed in the story.

I really did enjoy the book and felt the story was great. I loved all of the side characters and it had enough witty banter and action to keep me reading. I liked Calla because she was a strong female which I never get tired of, though I will never understand her taste in men. :)


If we're picking teams here, sign me up for Team Ren!

-Christina

1 comments:

Savannah said...

I so want this book already!!!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison