Friday, July 9, 2010

Book vs. Movies

Books vs. Movies


Okay, so we all know that books are always better than their movie. It's a common fact among readers that once a movie comes out, chances are we'll be slightly angry, but will still see it because we love the books so much.

I have compiled a list of my favorite books that have been turned into movies, these are the ones I love and think were done exceptionally well.


1. Lord of the Rings - This series amazes me, and the movies do it incredible justice. My father has been a huge Lord of the Rings fan since his childhood and so one of my first memories is actually of my father coming into my room dressed as Gandalf throwing flash paper into the air. It's safe to say that it was a requirement to read Lord of the Rings in my house, and when the movies came out we still adored them. Lord of the Rings was really my first introduction to epic fantasy. I loved fairy tales (I was a little girl, Beauty and the Beast was my life) but Lord of the Rings is different. I to this day can't watch the movies without wishing I was there and the movies really bring J.R.R. Tolkien's world to life.



2. BBC Pride and Prejudice - This movie/mini series and its actors capture the characters in Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice better than I could imagine. Colin Firth is the perfect Darcy and I will declare it on the rooftops if I have to! I didn't hate the Keira Knightley version but this one just has something more. It captures the emotions so perfectly and I swear you can see love in their eyes. It's long, but it is still a perfect sick day watch for me, and it always leaves me gaping at the screen for long periods of time. I ♥ this movie.


3. Anne of Green Gables - It should come as no surprise that I adore Gilbert Blythe (because I do... a lot) and these movies portray the books and characters amazingly. Anne is exactly like I pictured her, completely dramatic and disconnected from reality, and it's just such a sweet story. I could spend hours (and often do) in Anne's world surrounded by Diana, Gil, Anne, and everyone else who comes along. I just love them, and think everyone is entitled to their Anne moments because really, when it comes down to it "the lake of shining waters" will always sound better than "the pond."


4. Harry Potter - Without Harry Potter I wouldn't be a reader. I'll admit to going through a phase shortly after the third movie where Daniel Radcliffe was a constant obsession of mine, but I digress, this is about the movies, not my celeb crushes. I was tenish when the first movie came out and I instantly fell in love. I didn't think that they would be able to get Harry, Ron and Hermione right, but when I saw the movie I thought they were perfect. Yes they leave out things I wish they hadn't (Ron plays Quiditch too guys!) and yes, sometimes that annoys me, but at the end of the day I still think they're bloody brilliant and I loves them.



5. Little Women - I don't really know why I love this book to movie so much, but I know throughout my childhood I watched it, and rewatched it until the tape tour up. I didn't grow up with sisters (or any siblings for that matter) but there was something about this book/movie that appealed to me, probably for that very reason. I read Little Women when I was around ten and though I think Laurie and Jo were perfect for eachother (that still upsets me) I still think the book and movie are fabulous. The cast in the movie was perfect and I still can't watch Christian Bale as Batman or anything else without remembering him as first and foremost, my old friend, Laurie.



These aren't in any real order as I can't really pick between them. I love all of these movies and the books that got them there. :)

2 comments:

Witless Exposition said...

I'm an only child too, so I can completely relate to the Little Women fascination. It's awfully hard to put on a play by yourself, so I was always jealous of Jo.

I LOVE Colin Firth's Darcy. He will always be the best to me.

Christina said...

I agree, Colin Firth = Amazing.

I loved Jo because she wrote, she was always my favorite, plus she could have had Laurie.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison