Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Glimmerglass by Jenna Black

Glimmerglass
by Jenna Black

Dana Hathaway doesn’t know it yet, but she’s in big trouble. When her alcoholic mom shows up at her voice recital drunk, Dana decides she’s had it with being her mother’s keeper, so she packs her bags and heads to stay with her mysterious father in Avalon: the only place on Earth where the regular, everyday world and the magical world of Faerie intersect. But from the moment Dana sets foot in Avalon, everything goes wrong, for it turns out she isn't just an ordinary teenage girl—she's a Faeriewalker, a rare individual who can travel between both worlds, and who can bring magic into the human world and technology into Faerie. Soon, she finds herself tangled up in a cutthroat game of Fae politics. Someone's trying to kill her, and everyone wants something from her, even her newfound friends and family. Suddenly, life with her alcoholic mom doesn't sound half bad, and Dana would do anything to escape Avalon and get back home. Too bad both her friends and her enemies alike are determined not to let her go . . .


Rating: A
Source: From Publisher

Review:
I was tentative to read this one because I don't have a very good history with Fairy books. I have tried and tried to read them but I have never found any that I could get into or like, but this one surprised me because I did really, really like it!

I can finally join in with the rest of you on this fairy thing because I'm so excited for this series!!

The book started out a little fast for me but once I got into the story I was completely hooked and I couldn't put it down. I appreciated Dana for making the mistakes she made, yes some were a bit extreme and maybe she didn't think things completely through but to me that felt real because of her home life and background. She was looking for an escape and sometimes that means not thinking things through completely.

I'm sensing a love triangle coming in later books and though in this one I liked Ethan I can completely see Keane being a true rival for both mine and Dana's affections. He has that distant brooding bad boy jerk exterior which is always fun in a love triangle.

I really loved how this world was set up as a kind of Vatican type city right outside of London. It seemed to be right off of reality, and wasn't a secret which I thought was great. So often we see these paranormal worlds undercover and I loved seeing one that wasn't hidden from everyone.

The Faeriewalker idea I found intriguing, and the way it was presented was great. We get pieces to why it's such a big deal throughout the book so by the end I understood at least some of what Dana may be able to do and I can't wait to see what she does with it.

All in all I really loved this book as it had everything I wanted including magic and attractive boys.

Also, I'm semi in love with this cover, it has the perfect magical feel for the story and the smoke is a great touch. It's one of my favorite covers this year for sure.

I can't wait for book number 2!

-Christina

3 comments:

Savannah said...

This book sounds good. I have yet to pick this up

sarah darlington said...

You know what's crazy. I read this book a couple months ago and usually in that amount of time I will long forget a book--but I still find myself thinking of this book sometimes. I really need book 2

Monica said...

Glad you liked it! Makes me feel better about buying it with money I really didn't have on Sunday!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison