Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White [Review]


Weird as it is working for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, Evie's always thought of herself as normal. Sure, her best friend is a mermaid, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals' glamours, but still. Normal.

Only now paranormals are dying, and Evie's dreams are filled with haunting voices and mysterious prophecies. She soon realizes that there may be a link between her abilities and the sudden rash of deaths. Not only that, but she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.

Rating:





Source:
From publisher for review

Review:

This book was fantastic! Normally with Paranormals there's essentially a formula you could put in for the story, but with Paranormalcy this was definitely not the case. There are so many original elements that join together to make this book and it was such a refreshing read.

It is a fun paranormal which is something I have missed so much! It's fun and it doesn't brood or focus on the dramatic. It's light, funny and perfect, I could not put it down.

I loved Evie because she was always herself. She grew up in the IPCA building, so maybe she never thought to hide herself but she is fun and vibrant and I loved that about her. So often now it seems that our protagonists are emotional and almost in a state of depression and it was so nice to have a character who feels sadness but yet doesn't let it effect who she is and how she acts. I mean, she has a pink taser named Tasey! How much cooler can a protag get?

I loved the variety of paranormal beings that are found within Paranormalcy as well. There were vampires, werewolves, faeries, hags, shape shifters, mermaids, and so many more that I can't even think of right now. It was awesome! White takes a completely different approach to some of these beings and I loved hearing about them and their galmours.

The romance in the book was sweet and I really adored Lend. He's one of my favorite leading men of recent memory just because of how genuine he was. Every once in a while I just want to read about a nice guy and Lend fit that perfectly.

I loved how we also got a peek into the inner workings of the IPCA and even see a hint of government and its lack of perfection. It was really nice to watch Evie come to terms with everything that was being thrown at her, especially when it questioned everything she had ever known.

Paranormalcy is just one of those books I want to hug and keep with me all the time so I can reread the conversations and relive my favorite parts. I don't want to be too far away from Evie and Lend and the paranormal creatures I came to love in Kiersten White's world. It's definitely one of my favorites of 2010, if not one of my favorites of all time!

I bleeping love this book!

4 comments:

Savannah said...

Great review :) I got this book as well, and well I just have not go around to reading it yet! So excited to read it now.

BookQuoter said...

I definitely want to read this book also, just to see; I have only seen good reviews so far.

Anonymous said...

Fab review! I've just won myself a copy of this and I can't wait to read it as I've heard SO many good things about it!

Lori said...

I can't wait to read this!! I actually just finished a book so maybe I will start this one....!

Great review!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison