Monday, September 20, 2010

Infinite Days by Rebecca Maizel [Review]

Lenah Beaudonte is, in many ways, your average teen: the new girl at Wickham Boarding School, she struggles to fit in enough to survive and stand out enough to catch the eye of the golden-boy lacrosse captain. But Lenah also just happens to be a recovering five-hundred-year-old vampire queen. After centuries of terrorizing Europe, Lenah is able to realize the dream all vampires have -- to be human again. After performing a dangerous ritual to restore her humanity, Lenah entered a century-long hibernation, leaving behind the wicked coven she ruled over and the eternal love who has helped grant her deep-seated wish.

Until, that is, Lenah draws her first natural breath in centuries at Wickham and rediscovers a human life that bears little resemblance to the one she had known. As if suddenly becoming a teenager weren’t stressful enough, each passing hour brings Lenah closer to the moment when her abandoned coven will open the crypt where she should be sleeping and find her gone. As her borrowed days slip by, Lenah resolves to live her newfound life as fully as she can. But, to do so, she must answer ominous questions: Can an ex-vampire survive in an alien time and place? What can Lenah do to protect her new friends from the bloodthirsty menace about to descend upon them? And how is she ever going to pass her biology midterm?

Rating: A
Source: From publisher for review.

Review:

I am so happy to see a truly original take on vampires! Recently there are so many vampire books, and don't get me wrong, I have liked most of them, but this one is a completely different kind of story and I loved it!

The story itself is told between the present and flashbacks of the past. I have to say that these flashbacks may have been my favorite part of the novel as they were just so beautiful to read. Lenah's past as evil vampire queen was truly captivating and I found myself getting lost in the glamor of it all, but then also being taken back by some of the truly horrible things she was a part of.

I loved Lenah as a protagonist and during her human transition I felt like I was making the transition with her. Her thoughts sounded like something someone would feel being completely disconnected from the modern world and I just loved being in her head.

The romance in the book is absolutely fantastic! I was instantly team Rhode, though I like Justin. I felt Lenah and Justin's relationship might have developed a bit on the fast side but I still really enjoyed reading about them together, plus I thought Justin was sweet.

I really liked the pacing of the novel, and the ending left me saying, "WOAH!"

If you haven't read it yet, I strongly urge you to do so as this novel is definitely one of my favorites of 2010. I really, really missed when vampires were scary, and this book gave me that again!

Infinite Days is a novel that can't be missed for fans of the paranormal and I absolutely can not wait for the sequel!

-Christina

4 comments:

Alison Can Read said...

I finished this book on Saturday. I was wary because I'd heard several bad reviews. I understand why it got bad reviews, but I enjoyed it still.
Alison Can Read

Lori said...

I completely agree! This is one of my favorites of the year too! I loved it!

Erika said...

I've read mostly positive reviews on this, but despite the not-so-hot ones, I still plan to read it. Vampires used to be my favorite, and though that stage has passed, I think there will always be a part of me that will have a thing for novels that feature them. And this sounds like an individualistic take on a YA vampire novel. Thanks for the review!

Anonymous said...

Fantastic review! I've read a few mixed reviews on this one so I'm not sure whether or not to get it for myself!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison