Thursday, September 16, 2010

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare [Review]


When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder—much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It’s hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing—not even a smear of blood—to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary’s first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It’s also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace’s world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . .

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare’s ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.

Rating: B
Source: Bought

Review:
Everyone has been talking about this series, and quite frankly I felt tired of being out of the loop. So I read it, and I really enjoyed it.

There is so much in the pages of this book, so many beings, secrets, and I feel it really effectively creates this other world. Cassandra Clare is amazing at drawing you into the story. I really liked the way that this underground world was sewn into our real world. It's normally my favorite type of story because I like to believe these things are possible (my Hogwarts letter is coming, I know it) but while I really liked the story and direction it took throughout, I didn't like everything.

Luke really annoyed me, and this isn't to say that I didn't like him, in fact I love the idea of Luke, but I was constantly thinking about Gilmore Girls. There are other similarities with other well known things but this one was the one that really struck out to me. I mean, he was so much like the Luke I have loved forever... and his name is Luke! This didn't ruin anything for me as I really did enjoy the story throughout, I just wish she had made him wear a suit or something... or had named him John.

I loved Clary and Jace's relationship because Jace was amazing and sarcastic. They were just fun to watch and I loved spying on them, though I do wish there had been more emotion from both of them at times. Simon was the perfect nerd boy, and I really wish he was my best friend because he made me laugh.

The big twist at the end didn't really surprise me as I just expect that from someone as evil as Valentine and I refuse to accept it is true.

Overall I did really enjoy this book and I can't wait to read the rest of the series!

-Christina

3 comments:

Amelia said...

hey! glad you liked it. That's really interesting about Luke - I'd never thought of it before, but you're right!
Great review :)

brandileigh2003 said...

great review! I really love this series. Good point about luke

Anonymous said...

Great review! I, too, feel very out of the loop about this series and I'm planning on reading it very soon!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison