Friday, October 29, 2010

Secondhand Charm by Julie Berry [Review]

Release Date: October 12, 2010
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's Books
ISBN:9781599905112
Source: Publisher.
My Rating: 4.5 Keys.

Summary:

In a secluded village, magic sparkles on the edges of the forest. There, a young girl named Evie possesses unusually strong powers as a healer. A gypsy's charms-no more than trinkets when worn by others-are remarkably potent when Evie ties them around her neck. Her talents, and charms, have not escaped the notice of the shy stonemason's apprentice. But Evie wants more than a quiet village and the boy next-door. When the young king's carriage arrives one day, and his footman has fallen ill, Evie might just get her chance after all . . . Berry's debut novel garnered glowing reviews and strong sales-and now she's done it again with a beautifully woven tale to keep all readers, young and old, absolutely charmed.

Review:

I've been thinking all day about how exactly to describe this book, but when it comes right down to it, I honestly don't know how. It has so many different aspects and so many things going for it I just don't know of the word that explains it perfectly. I almost want to call it an adventure because with each page came another twist I wasn't expecting. I literally had no idea what would happen next and I loved it that way.

It has been a while since a book has stumped me, normally I can kind of figure out what is going to happen and really guess the plot just based on the summary but that wasn't the case for Secondhand Charm, it constantly surprised me.

This book is perfect for those who love a good fairy tale because essentially that is what it reads like. It reminds me of the fairy tales I read when I was younger and it's great to see fairy tales aren't dying - even if we all are focused on the horror aspect of them these days with Vampires, Werewolves, etc..

Because it was a fairy tale it contained a lot of fantasy elements which I loved. My favorite creature in the book was definitely the Leviathans because they weren't evil or creepy or anything. By the end of the book I wanted a Leviathan of my own because they just seemed so perfect and loyal.

I really felt Evie grew as a person during her journey and I really enjoyed Evie and Aiden's relationship. I really feel they complemented each other well and I almost wish there was the promise of a sequel because I would love to spend more time with them.

I will definitely be checking out Julie Berry's first book, The Amaranth Enchantment, because if it is half as fun as this one I won't be dissapointed.

If you're still a kid at heart like me, you need to read this book!

5 comments:

danya said...

Thanks for reviewing this one - I was wondering about it, a little worried from the description that it would be a bit too sweet/cliched, but sounds like you really enjoyed it!

Guta Bauer said...

Hmmm... I heard mixed things about this book, but the way you put your thoughts in your review made me think that it is worth a try, after all. ;)

Guta
http://www.murphyslibrary.com/

Lori said...

Now I want to read this!!! Great review!

ivanova said...

Love the cover of this book.

Bloomsbury Teens said...

Thanks for the review! We've posted a link on our official Facebook fan page: http://www.facebook.com/BloomsburyTeens

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison