Monday, October 4, 2010

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins [Review]

In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love

Rating:






Source: Bought.

Review:

I know I am the last person on the planet to read this book, but I finally understand what everyone was talking about.

It was amazing, so amazing I wanted to skip school and finish reading it, but of course the responsible part of me wouldn't let that happen.


I was surprised by how quickly I got caught up in the world. Katniss is a great and powerful protagonist. She just radiated with strength from the very first chapter and I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. I just loved her life, not in the sense that it was perfect or easy at all, but because of how she dealt with the things that were thrown at her and how she instead of accepting her life as what it could have been, went and changed it.

I can't express enough my love for Peeta. I am in love with Peeta. He was so sweet and kind and just the perfect awesome guy. I don't know too much about Gale from the first book but I sense him being the bad guy to Peeta's nice... but I don't believe nice guys finish last.

I love this concept and the more I read Dystopian the more I really adore it. I was late to the Dystopian trend but I just keep finding more amazing reads within it and I must say I aprove thoroughly and if anyone has any other amazing Dystopian recommendations I am more than willing to hear them.

I love The Hunger Games and I'm so glad I listened to everyone when they told me to read it.

Can't wait to read the rest of the series!

6 comments:

Lenore Appelhans said...

Glad you are on board with the dystopian! I have tons of recs :)

Ashley @ Book Labyrinth said...

Glad you liked it!! I loveeeeed it when I first read it last year, I couldn't believe I had waited even that long to read it.

Also, I love Peeta as well. <3

Jen said...

Great review! I absolutely love The Hunger Games trilogy and dystopian literature.

I think Katniss is such a dynamic character. I love seeing how she grows and changes throughout the series.

brandileigh2003 said...

I loved this book and the universe that Collins created. Her characters are amazing and she sucked me in with her writing.

Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Kristina Barnes♥ said...

I'm exactly like you, Christina! I hadn't read The Hunger Games at all until recently. But I mostly stayed away because I had misgivings against children being pitted against other children.

In the end, I decided to get it anyway and I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT. I think you pretty much summed up my love in this entire post. And YES, I DO love Peeta too! Hardcore team peeta. <3

Lori said...

I'm so happy you loved it, but I knew you would! ;) You must read all things dystopian! :) It's my favorite genre! Great review!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison