Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Royally Lost by Angie Stanton [Review + Interview]

Author: Angie Stanton
Release Date: May 6, 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
ISBN:  0062272586

Dragged on a family trip to Europe’s ancient cities, Becca wants nothing more than to go home. Trapped with her emotionally distant father, over-eager stepmother, and a brother who only wants to hook up with European hotties, Becca is miserable. That is until she meets Nikolai, a guy as mysterious as he is handsome. And she unknowingly finds herself with a runaway prince.

Nikolai has everything a guy could ask for-he's crown prince, heir to the throne, and girls adore him. But the one thing he doesn't have...is freedom. Staging a coup, he flees his kingdom and goes undercover on his own European tour.

When Nikolai and Becca meet, it’s their differences that draw them together. Sparks fly as they share a whirlwind of adventures, all the while dodging his royal guard. But Becca's family vacation ends in a matter of days. Will Nikolai and Becca be forced to say goodbye forever, will his destiny catch up to him, or will they change history forever?
I really enjoyed this title. I'm a sucker for a romance and a well written contemporary has a place in my heart that only an epic fantasy can touch. This book had all the pieces that I wanted, while not being sappy - which was the only thing that I was concerned about.

I'd never read Angie Stanton before so I wasn't sure what to expect, I have heard of her previous titles and have always wanted to try them, but Royally Lost was the perfect start! What first attracted me was the cover - it is beautiful, intriguing, and it alludes to so many aspects of the tale. Looking at it I see cobble stones and the boy has a satchel which just screams Europe in my mind. I was interested at first glance, and it lived up to the cover.

In true fairy tale tradition, this book has all the elements - complete with a handsome prince! Though it did take me thirty or so pages to get into it, as soon as Nikolai truly came into the picture I was all in and along for the ride.

I loved being able to travel with Becca. The family's tour of Europe sounded amazing to me, especially the historical aspect. I loved being able to see so much of the cities and be able to semi go on the journey with them, and I only wish there had been more.

The wonderful thing about this modern day fairy tale was that it actually seemed possible. So many times you see all of these extraordinary stories where crazy things happen, though this one was completely plausible. If you're going to meet and fall in love with a Prince, it needs to seem believable and Royally Lost definitely delivered.

If you love fairy tales and European Adventures, Royally Lost is sure to be for you.


What is your writing process like? What is your average day?
When I'm working on a new book, I try to write everyday, or at least five days a week. I used to jump around and write all the exciting, juicy scenes first, but now I write mostly from the beginning to end.
Often times I write with music in the background and other times I really want total silence. I'm not like a lot of people who go to coffee shops to write. Most of my writing is done at my kitchen island counter with my two dogs rushing in and out through their doggie door.
My first draft is always really rough. Grammar and punctuation are my weak points, so my work goes through several edits to clean it up. I usually write at least half the book before I go back to start editing. I learn so much about the characters as the story unfolds.
My books take me about seven or eight months start to finish including all the polishing up. I wish I were faster, but my mind needs to mull things over a lot. While I'm in writing mode, I put off most other things, which is bad. My house is messier, there are less groceries, and I rarely cook good meals. It's bad. I'm trying to get better.

What inspired Royally Lost?
A trip to Europe on a riverboat vacation. The book matches the trip we took down to every city and site. It's fun to see my trip in print. Except the book has a handsome prince.

Is there any book out there that you wish you had written?
Yeah! Hunger Games. I love that series. I was drawn in from the first page and couldn't put it down. I think I've read the series at least three times.

I know in Royally Lost there is a lot of history mentioned, if you could live in any time period what would it be?
I'm fascinated with time travel, so that's a great question. It would be fun to live during the times of pampered royalty, but only if I was one of them. Pretty much everyone else had a horribly difficult life. Or, I wouldn't mind meeting my ancestors from 150 years ago. I'm addicted to genealogy, so it would be amazing to meet the people I've researched.


If you're a fan of fairy tales and want one with a modern day twist, or if you've just always dreamed of finding your own prince charming, Royally Lost is the perfect summer read for you!

I would like to thank Angie Stanton so much for taking the time to speak with me, and you can get your own copy of Royally Lost from Amazon via the link below. 

Happy Reading! 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison