Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Fool Me Twice by Mandy Hubbard [Review]

Title: Fool Me Twice
Author: Mandy Hubbard
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Childrens
Source: NetGalley for Review
ISBN: 1619632306


 Mackenzie and Landon were the perfect couple . . . until he dumped her and broke her heart. Fast-forward a year and they're back where they first met—Serenity Ranch and Spa, where they are once again working together for the summer. Talk about awkward.

Then, Landon takes a nasty fall and gets amnesia. Suddenly, he’s stuck in the past—literally. His most recent memory is of last summer, when he and Mack were still together, so now he’s calling her pet names and hanging all over her. It's the perfect chance for revenge. The plan is simple: keep Landon at arm’s length, manipulate him so he’s the one falling love, and then BAM, dump him. There’s just one problem: Mack can’t fall for Landon all over again.

The If Only romance line is all about wanting what you can't have, and Mandy Hubbard's hilarious break-up/love story is sure to captivate anyone who has ever wished for a second shot at love.

This book was wonderfully cute. I didn't know quite what to expect when opening it, I've always been a fan of Mandy Hubbard but this title seemed different than some of her earlier material, more fun and girly almost.

What I found was an adorable story that kept me drawn in. I've always been fascinated by stories involving amnesia and this one was refreshing. It wasn't the classic story of remembering after losing ones memory, but a story of falls and folly that leads to redemption.

I loved the setting of the ranch, for a story like this being away from a "normal reality" was necessary and I found the knowledge that Hubard displayed about horses to be kind of amazing. She knew what she was talking about and when it comes to cowboys - that's a necessity.

I normally have a problem with the "amnesia" storyline. It's just one of those story lines I often feel is overdone, this title however put a really great  original twist on it that I enjoyed. The antics of Mackenzie really make this part of the book fun and engaging. Constantly it's a game to see what is going to happen and it definitely kept the pages turning for me.

The small jokes they play on Landon throughout the novel were cute and it made the ride to big reveal more interesting. I enjoyed watching them fall for each other all over again.

This book is the perfect short, fun summer read. I was drawn in and at no point did I get bored. I was invested in discovering what would happen with Landon and what their story would hold.

In the end, I felt that this book really explored what, "Timing is everything" means. You can be the right person, at the wrong time and the way this book explored that reality  made it feel incredibly true.

When it comes to summer though, anything can happen...

All in all if you would like a fun summer read, this title has your name on it.




1 comments:

Unknown said...

I love some of Mandy Hubbard's older books, I haven't heard of this one. But if you like stories of Amnesia I recommend The Making of Nebraska Brown, it's one of the best ones I've read. Awesome review!

Lisa
www.turningpages94.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison