Thursday, May 1, 2014

Cinder by Marissa Meyer [Review]

Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Source: Bought
Format: Ebook
ISBN:  0312641893
Series: The Lunar Chronicles
Amazon
Goodreads

Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl.

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.

 This book took me by surprise. For a straight year I have been hearing about how amazing it is, and how reading it is a "must" but in my head I keep thinking I don't do robots...

Now, I so totally do robots.

I loved this book from the beginning. The very first page got me, at first I was wary of the cyborg, android thing. It's different and I worried about being able to connect with the characters because of how different this world is than my own.

This isn't the typical "disease hits the world, mass chaos ensues" storyline. It's different, it's like science fiction, dystopian, and the classic fairy tale had a baby and named it Cinder. Yes, there is a disease, and yes it is bad, but that isn't the focus of the story. The plot is extremely character driven and I found myself loving the human emotions that even the androids showed.

The fairy tale aspect is something that can be overlooked, it's not cookie cutter which I loved. It's not a retelling, it just resembles the classic tale. It adds familiarity without getting cheesy.

Cinder is a wonderful protagonist. She's strong and self conscious, but her self conscious ways do not lessen that strength, if anything it makes her stronger. She has the courage to stare the world in the face despite what she sees as imperfection, and that is a great message to send to everyone.

She hides herself emotionally and physically every single day, and that is a predominant theme in the novel. Cinder is overcoming many obstacles, but her strength and will is ever present and I can't wait to see what she does as the story progresses.

I loved the Lunars - well, let me rephrase that,  I loved the existence of the Lunars. Androids and Cyborgs on Earth with a colony of magic possessing individuals on the Moon. It just makes sense.

I can't wait to spend more time in this world, and more time with Cinder.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison