Tuesday, August 3, 2010

[Movie Review] Charlie St. Cloud


Charlie St. Cloud

Charlie St. Cloud is a young man overcome by grief at the death of his younger brother. So much so that he takes a job as caretaker of the cemetery in which his brother is buried. Charlie has a special lasting bond with his brother though, as he can see him. Charlie meets up with his brother (Sam) each night to play catch and talk. Then, a girl comes into Charlie's life and he must choose between keeping a promise he made to Sam, or going after the girl he loves

Rating: A

Review:

This movie made me cry, and that just doesn't happen. I know a lot of people have said bad things about it, I was hesitant to see it because of what I had heard and seen in the commercials. I thought it was one of those movies that show EVERYTHING in the previews, but I was wrong. I don't normally do movie reviews but I loved this movie and I just had to tell you guys.

The story line is so much fun in the beginning and quickly you're brought into this relationship between Charlie and his little brother, Sam. They are so amazing together, their relationship is one that I would love to have with a sibling and in the blink of an eye it's all taken away (this was where the tears fell.)

I can understand why he would give up everything to keep that relationship, the bond between them was great and letting that go would be excruciatingly difficult and you can see that in Charlie. Everyone in his town knows he's suffering but no one is willing to help him. Instead he becomes the outcast, the weird guy, and this is really sad to me.

Zac Efron's acting was great. I've always liked him and thought he was rather attractive, but in this movie he impressed me and I know not everyone will agree with me, but I liked him.

I really liked the plot, and it had some unexpected moments that really took my breath away.

The actual movie was beautiful, the lighting and the scenery captured the moments perfectly and I wish I had blow ups of these moments to put on my wall. I'm determined to visit Vancouver so I can see some of these amazing places that were in the movie.

Ultimately I felt it was great, and I don't want to ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet so I'll stop gushing now, but I will say Charlie St. Cloud is definitely worth your time and money to see.

Go see it.

-Christina

6 comments:

Readaholics said...

Hey Christina, thanks for the heads up on this movie. My daughter wanted to go see it and now I don't have to worry about it being a dud.
Happy Reading!!!
See ya!
Readaholics Anonymous

Unknown said...

An A+, huh? I thought it looked pretty good but tend to get turned off when there are too many commercials (esp. ones that show as much as those did!). But I think I'll have to add it to my "To See" list! Thanks for the review.

Alison Can Read said...

Great review. I'm excited about this movie from the trailer, and I didn't expect to be interested in it. I'll probably wait til it's on Netflix but I'd like to see it.

Jan von Harz said...

I have been interested in this ever since I firs saw the trailer for it. I got a feeling it will make me cry too, but then I am a sucker for a sad story. Thanks for the review.

Violet said...

Thanks for sharing your review. I liked Zac in Hairspray and 17 Again, so I was already tempted to check this one out. Now I am even more excited to see it. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for following my blog! I love yours so I'm returning the favor :) I read the Charlie St. Cloud book first, and I loved it as well as the movie. Zac Efron did a good job, anyone who can cry like that on camera is a great actor in my book. The book is by Ben Sherwood and is a pretty quick read if you want to check it out. Theres a review of it on my blog. Have a great day!

Danielle @ everylastpage.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison