Monday, August 9, 2010

The DUFF by Kody Keplinger [Review]



Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn't think she's the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She's also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her "Duffy," she throws her Coke in his face.

But things aren't so great at home right now. Desperate for a distraction, Bianca ends up kissing Wesley. And likes it. Eager for escape, she throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with Wesley.

Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out that Wesley isn't such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she's falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.



Rating:





Released: September 7th 2010 by Little Brown/Poppy
Source: From Publisher for review.

Review:

From the very first page I could not get enough of this book. I read it three weeks ago and I let that gap sit before reviewing in hopes that the squealing fangirly feelings would go away, it didn't. Instead I ended up rereading it and picking it up whenever I was between books to reread my favorite parts.

I'm in complete book love with The Duff.

The summary sounded like it would be fun, but I didn't expect to be so taken away and captured by the story. It had so many deeper meanings, and they completely shocked me. I didn't expect anything but a fun story and I ended up getting a book that really changed my outlook on people and relationships.

Bianca was an amazing main character. She was sarcastic and not afraid to tell it like it is which is perfect for Wesley, our other main character, who deserved to have a drink poured on him. Wesley is the typical man-slut, every school has one, mine did and I'm sure yours did as well. He's the typical guy who you try to stay away from... but also never turn down talking to if he approaches you. You know that guy? Yeah, meet Wesley. He's that jerk guy you can't help but love ...or completely despise.

*Insert girly squeal here because I love this book.*

Bianca's story is so easy to relate to and I felt that the concept of The Duff (the designated, ugly, fat, friend) was one everyone could remember feeling. We've all felt like the Duff and Bianca's story just magnified that.

Kody Keplinger did not write any flat characters in this book. It's not just about Bianca and Wesley, it's about Bianca's messed up home life and her relationship with her friends. It's about Wesley trying to be good for his sister, and his parents that are never home. There are so many different aspects that make The Duff amazing and that is what is truly great about this book. It's honest in a way that kept me turning the pages. There is some language and sexual situations throughout the book, but they were needed to tell the story accurately and honestly like it deserved to be told.

Kody Keplinger is eighteen and I'm insanely jealous of her for writing this story. I officially feel like a failure.

The Duff hits on some emotions I wasn't expecting and I loved every second I was reading it. It's one of my favorite books I've read this year and if you haven't read it I really think you should.

The Duff is amazing, go read it.

5 comments:

The Library Lurker said...

I think that this looks great, and I can't wait to read it! I'm glad you enjoyed it! Great review!

Cass said...

Well, so long as I'm younger than her... :P

I'm so excited! Resugo is sending me an ARC of The DUFF! I can't thank her enough. (I didn't win, but she offered to send me one because it's my honest-to-God most anticipated book)

Sounds a bit like Twenty Boy Summer-- read the blurb and it sounds like a fun and easy read, but when you actually read it, it's much more. I haven't read it yet, so I don't know to what extent that is true...it's been sitting on my bookshelf, where 20 other books sit waiting to be read. I'm such a slow reader.

Anyway, great review! I'm even more excited for its arrival! I'm never letting this one go. :)

Lori said...

Great review!! I really loved this book too! I can't believe she's only 18!!

CHRISTIE said...

I didn’t have an interest in reading this one, but with all the great reviews I might need to reconsider.

Erika said...

I have been dying (and I do mean dying!) to read this book. I love how realistic it sounds, and I think I'll be able to identify with the main character. While I think that my self-esteem is intact, there are times when I totally feel like the DUFF in my group of friends.

Thanks for the great review!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison