Friday, January 29, 2010

The Last Song by: Nicholas Sparks Review

The Last Song
by: Nicholas Sparks

From Amazon:

Seventeen year old Veronica "Ronnie" Miller's life was turned upside-down when her parents divorced and her father moved from New York City to Wrightsville Beach, North Carolina. Three years later, she remains angry and alienated from her parents, especially her father...until her mother decides it would be in everyone's best interest if she spent the summer in Wilmington with him. Ronnie's father, a former concert pianist and teacher, is living a quiet life in the beach town, immersed in creating a work of art that will become the centerpiece of a local church.
The tale that unfolds is an unforgettable story of love on many levels--first love, love between parents and children -- that demonstrates, as only a Nicholas Sparks novel can, the many ways that love can break our hearts...and heal them.

From Me:

I have to start out and say that I am a Nicholas Sparks fan. I have always felt that his stories ended with just enough gut wrenching sadness for me to truly appreciate the growth and development of his characters along the way... and lets be honest any type of gut movement whilst reading is a good thing right?

This book was no exception.

I loved each of the characters and felt they were friends and that i knew them. Ronnie felt so real to me, some of her feelings about life and just the way she viewed things I feel myself on a daily basis. In no way did I feel her character to be two dimensional, quite the opposite really, I felt she was right beside me the entire time.

I loved her relationship with Will as it to felt real. I felt that Will was a typical guy - without being too typical. He was average but then extraordinary all at the same time and I don't know how to describe that phenomenon or how to really say how that is possible but he also was in no way a flat character and also jumped off the page and into my living room. I liked how he wasn't perfect, though he did have all of the traits that would make him so. He had his flaws that rang true, but despite everything he was still just an amazing guy.

Now, onto what I felt was almost the focal point of the book - Ronnie's relationship with her Dad. These parts made me cry. Ronnie hadn't spoken to her father in three years and is now spending the summer with him. There is so much growth within these pages, and there's the ultimate rebuilding of that relationship. My parents got divorced when I was 15, I was in the same boat as Ronnie and maybe that is why this part got to me so much, but it was an absolutely beautiful thing to witness - and then ultimately filled me with so much joy but yet at the exact same time heartbreak.

All of these aspects made this an amazing book, I loved her brother and found him to be at some times the comedy relief in situations, but he was adorable and made me smile.

I do however think that some parts were rushed, I found entire weeks just skimmed over, and a few situations came up very fast and I wished had been explained more, but overall I found this book to be great and I give it a 9.

-Christina

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison