Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Author Interviews: Beth Fantaskey edition.

C: What inspired you to write Jekel Loves Hyde?

B: I honestly have no idea where the idea for this book came from. It seems like the title just popped into my head one day, and it struck me as a great start to a YA novel with a paranormal twist. I could imagine lots of possibilities. Before long, the characters of Jill Jekel and Tristen Hyde began to develop in my imagination, too, and the story took off from there.


C: What was your writing process like?

B: I am a pretty disciplined writer. I like to sit down in the morning and get to work, and I set goals for myself, too. Otherwise, because I work at home, it's too easy to get distracted or procrastinate. (And I usually give myself some kind of reward, like a snack, when I meet my goal. I'm like the Scooby-Doo of writers!)


C: How long did it take to write Jekel Loves Hyde? What about Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side?

B: Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side just poured out of me. I wrote the first draft in about two months, I think - although of course the revision process went on longer. Jekel Loves Hyde was a different story. The plot is more intricate, and has even more twists and turns, so it took a few months longer for me to write.


C: What are your perfect writing conditions?

B: A cup of coffee or a Diet Coke (fountain, preferably from McDonald's) by my side, a very warm room, socks - not shoes, and good music in the background.


C: What kind of music do you listen to?

B: I live in a town with two college radio stations, and I usually like to listen to those, because I like to check out new alternative music. My iPod is pretty eclectic, though. I have everything from AC/DC to +44 - and I'm open to country, a little rap... pretty much anything!


C: Favorite movies?

B: I always blank out on this question, and there are very few movies that I watch more than once. I would say two that I revisit now and then are "The Princess Bride" and the 1980s dark comedy "Heathers." If I see them on TV, they usually draw me in.


C: What would you consider to be your most embarrassing moment?

B: Oh, gosh! There are so many! I am a legendary klutz. One of the worst, though, happened during a job interview with about ten people around a conference table. They gave me the one broken chair at the table, and when I sat down, I ROLLED BACKWARDS out of the chair. Head over heels - while wearing a skirt. (I did not get the job.)


C: What advice would you give to aspiring writers?

B: Treat writing like you would anything you want to be good at - meaning practice. Every day. It's great to have talent, but writing is a skill, too, and you have to hone it.

Thanks to Beth for doing this amazing interview, and I know it's a bit late, but expect an In My Mailbox tomorrow, and now I'm off to watch The Pregnancy Pact on Lifetime!! lol
Later guys :]

2 comments:

L said...

I loved Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side and I can't wait to read Jekel loves Hyde! Also, I've given you an award over at my blog! http://hookedonyabooks.blogspot.com/2010/01/awards-yay.html

Christina said...

awww thank you so much!

I appreciate it alot, and I also can't wait for Jekel loves Hyde!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison