Monday, February 1, 2010

Wannabe Writers [1]

Wannabe Writers [1]

I saw this new Meme over at Confessions of the Un-Published- (http://www.sarahdarlington.com/) and it sparked my interest as I am as well a wannabe unpublished writer. So this seems to be a Meme dedicated to fellow reviewers helping one another to overcome whatever writing trouble we're having - and less face it, helping eachother is fun. :)

Where I am in the writing process: I'm actually not sure where I am in my writing process honestly. I know that sounds strange, but my story is quite complex and I'm not entirely sure where it will take me in the end, I have an idea of where I feel it will end up but my characters deffinately have minds of their own. I've written what I previously thought would be half... but now it seems I have barely scratched the surface.

My Current Problems: I'm not stuck - I refuse to say that, but I am unsure of how to write certain scenes which drives me crazy. I know that I should just carry on and continue writing it, leave my editing for later but it's deffinately easier said than done.

Question of the Week: How do you stay motivated?
I've been having problems with this very issue for awhile myself. I have been working on my book since November of 2007 - which seems insane to me thinking about it now. I was very in to it for awhile, but then I read On Writing by Stephen King and I took his "time off" aproach seriously and though it did work when I returned, it took me awhile to return which was the problem.


What do you do to stay motivated?

7 comments:

sarah darlington said...

I feel you on that current problem thing. Since it's also my current problem. And really the thing that's leading to my lack of motivation. I keep rewriting this same chunk of my book. Someone once told me to take time out and nap or at least go lay in bed and try to picture your characters together. Try to come up with the scene. If you're still stuck then skip over that and write a later scene.

I guess in the end you'll just have struggle with it like me. It's been like 2 weeks stuck now. AH!

Oh, and thanks for posting on my blog! :)

Bookish in a Box said...

I completely understand when you say you wrote what you thought would be half but have barely scratched the surface. That happens to me all the time! It's kind of fun though, seeing what my imagination can keep coming up with, even without my prodding.

Good luck getting unstuck! I think Sarah's right; take time off or skip over it and come back, but it's definitely hard to just leave a portion unfinished.

Christina said...

I guess what I've written now will just have to do until I can think of something else. *sigh*

I think it will be more fun to just move on and along though, I need to get somewhere and stressing over something I can do in editing just doesn't seem fun. Thanks for the advice :)

sarah darlington said...

Oh another thing I do. Sometimes I can quite get the right line. Usually just a sentense or two. And I'll just highlight and know to come back to it and rewrite it later.

nadine said...

I'm not much of a writer, but I do remember starting a book back in the 5th grade. I would like to go back and continue it, but I seem to have lost the story. Can't remember where I saved it, or if it's still saved. All in all, I'd like to sit and just write one of these days, and I've got plenty of free time, but I'm really lazy. I dunno, maybe one day i'll finally sit my butt down and just go from there.

Good luck with your writing though. =)

Swimmer said...

I totally get what you mean. I wrote what I thought was a good half of a book then came back to realize I had barley gotten anywhere. Whatever you do don't give up. Just let it play out and edit parts of it at a time not all at once.

Witless Exposition said...

Congratulations on not giving up! I know personally a lot of times I run into trouble because I'm not 100% sure of my characters. I read the hint somewhere (wish I could remember where) of putting your characters in a random place not dealing with your story (you could write it out or just imagine it). Sometimes thinking of your characters outside of the context of your book helps get some gears moving.

Hope you stick with it! :)

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison