Monday, February 22, 2010

The Lonely Hearts Club :by Elizabeth Eulberg

The Lonely Hearts Club
by: Elizabeth Eulberg

Love is all you need…or is it?
Penny is sick of boys and sick of dating, so she vows: No more. She’s had one too many bad dates, and has been hurt by one too many bad boys. It’s a personal choice…and soon everybody wants to know about it. It seems that Penny’s not the only girl who’s tired of the way girls change themselves (most of the time for the worse) in order to get their guys…or the way their guys don’t really care about them.
Girls are soon thronging to The Lonely Hearts Club (named after Sgt. Pepper’s band), and Penny finds herself near legendary for her non-dating ways – which is too bad, since the leader of The Lonely Hearts Club has found a certain boy she can’t help but like…


From Me:
Before I start, let me just say that I am a Beatles fanatic. They're quite possibly my favorite band, and as soon as I saw this book I knew that I would absolutely adore it, and I was right.

The Main character Penny has sworn off boys for the rest of her high school career because of a bad experience with her childhood friend Nate. She begins The Lonely Hearts Club because she has given up dating, but in the beginning she doesn't really speak of the club and has herself as the only member, but as word spreads and her closest friends join her the club grows, and sometimes adding people who aren't always for the best.

I really enjoyed this book and found it a cute read. I loved the Beatles references I found everywhere and liked the idea of the club as being first and foremost a place for friendship and support.

I loved the relationships between the people, the friendships between Penny, Tracy, and Diane I found to be realistic between that of best friends, and of course the relationship between Penny and Ryan I LOVED. He was a very serious change between that of Nate, and was a genuinely sweet guy.

If you don't like The Beatles or don't know them that well, that's okay as the references are definitely not what carry the story, you'll enjoy it just as much whether you know 200 Beatles songs or 2.

I give it and 8.5/10.

-Christina

1 comments:

BookChic said...

I loved this book too! It was so interesting and hilarious, but had some nice depth to it. Great review!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison