Friday, February 5, 2010

Graceling by: Kristin Cashore

Graceling
by: Kristin Cashore


From Kristin Cashore's website-

Graceling is the story of Katsa, who has been able to kill people with her bare hands since she was eight. Katsa lives in the seven kingdoms, where very occasionally, a person is born with an extreme skill called a Grace. Gracelings are feared and exploited in the seven kingdoms, and none moreso than Katsa, who's expected to do the dirty work of torture and punishment for her uncle, King Randa. But then she meets a mysterious stranger named Po, who is also a Graced fighter and the first person ever to challenge her in a fight. The two form a bond, and each discovers truths they never imagined about themselves, each other, and a terrible danger that is spreading slowly through the seven kingdoms.


From Me:

When I began Graceling I knew that I would love it. There was no question in my mind that told me otherwise, and I was right - mostly.
When I first began to read it I was shocked that I didn't automatically fall in love, it took me a full week to get to page 60, but I think I can blame that one on my school work and obsessive workload because as soon as I did reach 60 I refused to put it down and read the rest that night, which is always my favorite reading experience.

I loved the characters, the world, and the relationships. I felt that Katsa's character was what I like to see in YA fantasy. She deffinately was not a damsel in distress and she could handle things herself, but yet wasn't opposed to having help along the way. I loved getting into Katsa's head. Her thoughts and emotions felt very real to me and I felt her pain and even her determination on many occasions.

I LOVED Po. I can't even express how much I adored him as a character. He was just adorable, and powerful. One AMAZING combination.

I'm kicking myself for not reading this book sooner, but now that I have I can't wait to read Fire and continue on into this world Cashore has created.

I give it a 9.5

-Christina.

2 comments:

sarah darlington said...

Yes. I loved this book.

Swimmer said...

I adored this book and have already bought her next book which looks even more amazing.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison