Monday, March 9, 2015

Top Ten Books For Those Who Love Contemporaries!


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish


While fantasy is probably my favorite genre, contemporary is my go to read. I love contemporary fiction, it is light, fun, and normally all issues get resolved by the end in one nice little bow. 

Fantasy often times takes commitment, there are intense storylines and new worlds to learn which cause dedication on your part as the reader. Contemporary is what I read the most, I love them, I love when they are important and beautiful. They even make me like to cry. 

Contemporaries do odd things to me. 

Here is a list of my best of the best in the contemporary world! 



The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen

We all know that Sarah Dessen's books are my Spirit Animal, and this one is still probably the greatest book I've ever read. It is perfect, or at least that is how it feels to me. The characters all feel real by the time you complete it, and it is this fact which makes me feel the importance of TTAF the most. This is the book I go to when I need to visit old friends. So often in contemporaries characters feel stagnant, bland, and they don't make an impression, but this group leaves an impression and I miss them if I'm away for too long. 

On the Fence by Kasie West

This is a read which actually surprised me last year. It was simple, sweet and I couldn't stop reading it. I think I began it on a Wednesday and finished on Friday - which is a big deal for me because my life is full of busy. I love the friendship between the two main characters and the self discovery they each go through. It is great, you should read it. 


Going Too Far by Jennifer Echols

I read this one years ago and it made me ravenous for another Jennifer Echols book. This one was special, the boy was a police officer, the girl just needed that someone special and full on feels ensued. It is a truly great contemporary with a fantastic storyline and characters I still think about. Often with contemporaries the storylines become blurred when you read so many, but this is one of the books I look back on and can still remember every moment. Definitely check it out! 

Sing Me to Sleep by Angela Morrison 

This book is the first to ever make me cry. Seriously, I didn't think that was possible until this book came into my life. It is fantastic, and it is totally better then The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. Just sayin. This book deserves more love, though be prepared for waterworks. The story is so sweet, and so perfect that the ride is completely worth it.


Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern

This book is a great book that showcases a different type of diversity. The story of a girl suffering from external/physical disabilities and a boy suffering from OCD, an inner disability really sets the scene for a great story full of memorable moments. This book is definitely worth reading as both subject matters complement each other and each individual lives with their inner troubles in very, very different ways.

17 First Kisses by Rachael Allen

This book also was one which really took me by surprise last year! The characters are fantastic, the story memorable and I loved the way it was told, reflecting on different "kisses" as time went on. It was fantastic, and I just recently finished Rachael Allen's second novel, The Revenge Playbook, which definitely deserves a look at when it comes out this June! Review for that one is coming soon!


The Duff by Kody Keplinger

This book has been getting a lot of attention due to the recent movie. I have not seen the movie yet (AHHHH) but I have heard great things! The book side of the spectrum blew me away back in 2010, and during a recent re-read it was still fantastic! The book does contain some adult material (nothing graphic, teen stuff) which is really the only thing I've heard people be not too fond of. I think The Duff has fantastic character development, great badass characters, and Bianca is pretty much the person I wish I'd had the guts to be in High School. READ IT! 

The Pursuit of Happiness by Tara Altebrando

This book is one which definitely does not have the recognition that it deserves. This book centers around a boy and a girl who work for a historic colonial tourist site, and dress the part daily. All of this while also centering around a tragdey. It is beautiful and each character deals with intense and real emotions in a way which really blew me away. This book deserves to be read, and treasured, and reread again. If you haven't read it, check it out. Now. 

-------------

And here are my EIGHT favorite contemporaries! I limited myself to one per author, which means that some of these authors have some other fantastic contemporary reads... so you should just check out all of them. 

What is on your list this week? 

3 comments:

Tiffany York said...

I LOVE to read contemporaries as well! They are definitely my go to genre too, especially if I am feeling like I might be in a bit of a reading slump. They are always quick, enjoyable reads for me. A lot of these are on my TBR and I still need to read, but I absolutely love every book by Sarah Dessen. Great list! :]

Tiffany @ Beneath the Jacket Reviews
My TTT

Ashley @ Bookaholics Anonymous said...

Ive read 17 kisses which I enjoyed I liked the way it told as well, and the duff I read, but I just couldn't get in to it.

Lori said...

I loved so many of these! I still need to read Say What You Will!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison