Thursday, March 26, 2015

Let's Talk: Game of Thrones: is the Show "Spoiling" it?

From time to time I feel the need to discuss things. 
This is where I do it. 
If you have comments, join in! It's like a dinner party in the virtual world without the dinner or the party! 


This discussion is going to focus on the world of Game of Thrones. I read the books, have watched the show, and while they aren't my favorite thing since sliced bread I do enjoy them. 

There has been some controversy as of late because the upcoming season of Game of Thrones (season 5) is going to start spoiling the books. G.R.R. Martin's next series installment is not due out until 2016... and of course, the show must go on. 

This has upset many people... but interestingly enough not G.R.R. Martin. The author of this mega series does not seem to mind if people know where he's going without him going there. 

According to The Verge he had this to say about it:
"This whole concept of spoilers is one that I've never gotten," he says. "Yes, there's a pleasure when you're reading a book, or watching a television show — What will happen next? Who will win? Who will lose? But that is by no means the only reason to watch a movie or a television show. It's not the only reason to read a book."
I thought this explanation was very interesting, but people are upset and actually refusing to watch the show to protect themselves from spoilers. 
What do you guys think? 
Will you guys be checking out the new series, or are you going to commit and wait for the books? 

I haven't made up my mind yet... though I do think it's odd the author is okay with the spoilers when you consider this series has been ten years in the works with no end in sight. 

To spoil or not to spoil? That is the question... 

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh no. I've been waiting for this to happen.. I don't like it because I read the series before the show came out which is the way I like it. Books are 99% of the time better. While the show is pretty good, I don't like the idea of it spoiling book 6. I may have to skip watching the show until book 6 comes out. I hope it doesn't take years. -_-

Pearl @ AsteriskPearl's Book Blog

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison