Thursday, August 21, 2014

The Graveyard Book [Graphic Novel] by Neil Gaiman

Title: The Graveyard Book: Volume 1
Author: Neil Gaiman 
Graphic Adaption: P. Craig Russell
Publisher: July 29, 2014
Source: Publisher for honest review. 


The first volume of a glorious two-volume, four-color graphic novel adaptation of Neil Gaiman's #1 New York Times bestselling and Newbery Medal-winning novel The Graveyard Book, adapted by P. Craig Russell and illustrated by an extraordinary team of renowned artists.
Inventive, chilling, and filled with wonder, Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book reaches new heights in this stunning adaptation. Artists Kevin Nowlan, P. Craig Russell, Tony Harris, Scott Hampton, Galen Showman, Jill Thompson, and Stephen B. Scott lend their own signature styles to create an imaginatively diverse and yet cohesive interpretation of Neil Gaiman's luminous novel.
Volume One contains Chapter One through the Interlude, while Volume Two will include Chapter Six to the end.
We all know that I LOVE Neil Gaiman. I was so excited to see the Graphic Novel adaption of the classic Graveyard Book  and I must say, I wasn't disappointed. The arrangement that P.Craig Russell did was fantastic, and I was really impressed by how wonderfully it read. I wasn't sure how the novel would take being adapted to Graphic Novel but if anything I just found it more engaging.

I read it in one sitting, which may not seem like a large feat for a "comic book" but it was quite long. It houses a whole lot of story in its pages and I couldn't get enough.

The original story is just as beautiful in this edition as in the original novel. Nobody is raised in a graveyard by the spirits that call it home. It is creepy while still being completely fascinating. You begin to know the graveyard as home just like Nobody/Bod does. Bod's adventures are highly imaginative and the graveyard setting allows for practically anything to happen. It is a blur of time periods and a mesh of personalities that end up raising Bod. After all, it takes a graveyard to raise a child.

There is foreshadowing involved that allows us to also see the outside world outside, namely Jack who I'm sure will pay a much larger part in volume two.

I enjoyed the artwork, there are different illustrators throughout the graphic novel and originally I worried that I would be able to tell the difference between them. The illustrations however all have the same feel, and in the end I found them to be consistent, and the slight variations added to the mood of each section rather than seeming choppy and different.

Overall: I am so excited to get my hands on volume two! If you haven't been introduced to the world of Neil Gaiman yet, this graphic novel is the perfect intro. If you're a long time Gaiman fan, or love graphic novels in general, you will proudly display this one on your shelf among your many other favorites.




1 comments:

Red Iza said...

It looks like a winner, I love N. Gaiman and graphic novels. This one looks beautiful !

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison