Friday, October 9, 2015

Ash & Bramble by Sarah Prineas [Book Review]

Title: Ash & Bramble
Author: Sarah Prineas
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: September 15, 2015
ISBN: 0062337947

A prince.
A ball.
A glass slipper left behind at the stroke of midnight.
The tale is told and retold, twisted and tweaked, snipped and stretched, as it leads to happily ever after.
But it is not the true Story.
A dark fortress.
A past forgotten.
A life of servitude.
No one has ever broken free of the Godmother’s terrible stone prison until a girl named Pin attempts a breathless, daring escape. But she discovers that what seems to be freedom is a prison of another kind, one that entangles her in a story that leads to a prince, a kiss, and a clock striking midnight. To unravel herself from this new life, Pin must choose between a prince and another—the one who helped her before and who would give his life for her. Torn, the only thing for her to do is trade in the glass slipper for a sword and find her own destiny.
This one was a whirl wind, and I'm still not entirely certain of exactly what it was that I just read. It was definitely not what I was expecting and I think a lot of the highlights were lost to me in my own confusion.

I didn't dislike it... but I found myself struggling to make a connection and become indebted.

Pin/Pen is our heroine and she really doesn't know much of anything. Truly, her past is a secret and she struggles with her identity in pretty much every sense of the word. She wakes up and finds herself a seamstress stuck inside of a fortress, and bad things go down.

Then she makes a friend with the shoemaker (aptly named Shoe) and things go down.

A lot happens in this book, and I almost feel like it should have been multiple books to ease the reader in rather than having one 400 + book where so many things happen.

There are really multiple starts, and multiple ends... and I honestly struggled to keep going at times because I was so bogged down and confused. I felt as if while a lot was happening, nothing was also happening... which doesn't quite make sense.

There were pages and pages of information but I felt at times like I wasn't getting anywhere, and keeping myself motivated to keep it up was hard.

However, the times when the story was going, and was moving I felt it was good. There were moments when I found myself glued to the page... it was just getting there that was the problem.

I didn't really like Shoe, I felt he was way too mopey, and Cor was kind of pointless - I felt like he was just around to add his character into the mix.

In the beginning I really liked the idea of an evil God Mother, but then once again this seemed to fizzle out the farther into the story we got.

This is one of the few times that I think the focus on being a fairy tale retelling really hurt rather than help. This book was so focused on being similar to a fairy tale that x, y, and z had to happen -- and all of that stuff just wasn't that entertaining.

All in all, if you want a darker fairy tale then this one may be for you. I think my opinion is abnormal with this one and most people enjoyed it. -- Maybe I'm just growing inpatient with old age?

What did you guys think of this one?


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison