Sunday, July 12, 2015

The Weekly Write: I Need YOU! [1]


The Weekly Write is a feature where I discuss all of my writing hopes, dreams, and fails. Feel free to join me! I love to hear what everyone is doing! 

I have attempted to do The Weekly Write once before but life got in the way. 
I say, no more. 
I need your help, guys. 

I need you to keep me inspired and keep me motivated to finish all of the projects instead of thinking about them constantly and feeling like a failure. 

I often feel conflicted when discussing my writing life. For years when people would ask me what I wanted to be when I "grew up" I would always say anything but "a writer." 

The word itself sounds scary. It feels scary. And most people don't understand. 

The truth is that my entire life I do not remember a time when "a writer" wasn't what I wanted to be. I would sit for hours and write words over and over agin, or copy chapters of Harry Potter because I just liked it and I didn't think anything I said or wrote would ever top it. (Let's be legit, THAT is still true). 

Looking back on it I was constantly heading towards one goal, and I would like other to join me as I try to make "it" happen. 

Let's talk about writing! Let's talk about reading writing! 
Let's encourage each other and try to make "it" happen for all us - whatever your "it" may be. 

Here are my weekly stats: 
Total word count: 40,082
Hours spent: 5
Words added: 4,322
Dream goal for next week: 50,000 (HA!) 
Realistic goal for next week: 46,000

So, all in all - not the best week. I also did get Scrivener which has been a large help with formatting and just separating my thoughts into tangible things. 

The truth is, this book may really suck - but I'm finishing it for me. 

This is The Weekly Write, and if you would like to join in, just leave a comment with your post or we can just talk about it there. I will be on Twitter as well where I will be hash-tagging my writing woes. 

We can get through this together. 

And I really want some company doing it. 

3 comments:

Shasmine Cianne said...

I like this idea...i will try it ...tough it seems something difficault when you are block or something..i dont know if i will like to see hoe much block i am..jaja but i will try....keep going with the iniciative and good luck ;)

Shasmine Cianne said...

I like this idea...i will try it ...tough it seems something difficault when you are block or something..i dont know if i will like to see hoe much block i am..jaja but i will try....keep going with the iniciative and good luck ;)

Critica said...

Over a year ago I saw one of these posts and I thought to myself "Huh, she's keeping track of her word count... I bet if I did this and could see my progress, I'd feel more motivated to keep going with my story." I kept a daily log and finished my book over the course of a summer. I added about 20,000 words to what I had. (Well, until several rounds of rereads and editing happened, of course. Then more words were added since. And to be honest, I still might not be done editing.)

Anyway, thank you for making these posts, because you're right - 'writer' is a scary word and "most people don't understand." It helps to stick together because it makes the goal of completion feel more realistic. Just when I'd barely come to terms with the label 'writer' my professors started calling writers 'artists' and that scared me even more... An artist? Me? It feels like such a bold word. But I guess at the end of the day that's what we are since we feel a need to create. Even if an idea might be stupid to others I think it's important that we give it our best shot because ultimately, all stories are kind of personal anyway.

Lately my biggest writing woe (as well as a reading and blogging woe) has been my own emotions. I've been going through some relationship stuff this summer and I just haven't been able to read or write much. I can't concentrate. I just don't feel like thinking about it when I'm too busy with my own feelings and issues. The problem is, I probably need an escape every now and then, but my introverted brain just starts taking off in one direction at full speed. I guess in a way writing was a way of keeping my mind occupied when I didn't have a lot going on. Granted I still love to write and if I'm ever feeling an overflow of emotions I turn to poetry (cliché, I know)... but it just hasn't been happening. And it doesn't help much that my new project has a rather flimsy game plan at this point... I think I'm also lazy.

Sorry about the stream-of-consciousness. I probably should have just written a post.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison