Monday, April 28, 2014

The Weekly Write [1]

Anyone else have multiple partially finished manuscripts just sitting there? You see them in your documents and they taunt you. You think, "I'll finish that soon" or "I will edit that later, just as soon as I find the time..."

In my experience, the time never finds you. It never presents itself, you have to go out and take it.

This is my way of going out and taking it.

I don't know if anyone is interested in doing this with me, but I am making a pledge, a pact, a promise or whatever you want to call it, to have something new written and revised every Monday.

I will be keeping up with my weekly updates here.

If you want to write, or have a project that needs working on let me know and I may consider making this a meme, but for now at least I will be doing it.

I would love to know what you guys think!


Week One: 

Last night I realized that I had a 110 paged draft, and a 56 page draft - both for two entirely different stories. Of course I knew I had them, but it wasn't something I actively think about.

Both of these stories I started enthusiastically. I was pumped and excited and I thought to myself, "Yes, I have finally found the one!" 

I have a curse - I get excited. An idea pops into my head and before I know it, I am ten pages in with nowhere to go.

It's moments like this that I realize I don't have the whole "writing process" thing down. I get lost somewhere in the middle and I take time to figure it out instead of just carrying on. That is probably the biggest thing I need to change.

It's just, my entire life I have wanted to write. In my head writing real books with real pages (Gatsby reference anyone?) is the ultimate dream. 

You hear all of this advice on writing and for me, I think while some of it is inspiring, some of it leaves me utterly confused. I'm always waiting for the right idea. I get what I think might be the right idea, just to get lost somewhere in between. It's a struggle, and it's real.

Both of these stories I started years ago, therefore I think editing needs to be done just to get me back where I need to be. My goal is to finish editing, and write enough to get me really going again this next week. 

Novel 1 Stats: (Contemporary)
32,341 words - Goal for next week - 40,000
110 pages
3 pages edited

Novel 2 Stats: (Fantasy)
19,976 words - Goal for next week - 30,000
56 pages
0 pages edited

I'm on summer break. It has to happen... right?


3 comments:

Jillian said...

I think a part of being a writer is being so shy about our writing especially when you are still working in a manuscript, so I think this is a good idea to publicize it :) Good luck and looking forward to hearing more about your journey!

Shane @ItchingforBooks said...

I can so relate. I have several unfinished manuscripts and I want to finish two to have released in May. Thanks for the motivation to get on it. Great post :)

Shane @ItchingforBooks said...

Good luck with yours!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison