Saturday, April 26, 2014

The Giver by Lois Lowry [Review]

Title: The Giver 
Author: Lois Lowry
Series? Yes, The Giver Quartet
Source: Library
Format: Audiobook
Goodreads: here

Jonas' world is perfect. Everything is under control. There is no war or fear or pain. There are no choices. Every person is assigned a role in the Community. When Jonas turns twelve, he is singled out to receive special training from The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of the true pain and pleasure of life. Now, it is time for Jonas to receive the truth. There is no turning back.


I have been wanting to read this book for years. I remember being a middle schooler, seeing this book on the shelf and almost reaching for it - every single time. Whatever stopped me I can not say, it probably had something to do with the stacks and stacks of horse books that littered my floor, but this book was always on my "Someday I will read this list."

That day was Wednesday. 

While I have heard it called the father book of dystopian, I did not think that it was all powerful. Is it the best depiction of a dystopian society I have ever read? No, but that doesn't seem to be the charm with this title.

The book was simple, but I don't mean that negatively in any way. The book represented life in their society which was a very simple one. Everyone knows their place, everyone knows where they belong... and on some level, isn't that what each of us want?

On the outside they are happy, and they are living in a type of utopia... but there are always secrets and things unseen.

I really enjoyed how Lowry expressed family life in this society, I felt that ultimately it was a tale about family and discovery - enlightenment even. Jonas has an awakening of sorts, and for good reason. The character of Jonas was clear, his need for discovery and understanding drew me into this world and this society with each turning page. 

The character of The Giver was one I wasn't expecting to enjoy, but the relationship between he and Jonas felt realistic, and the slow reveal of the "truth" kept me waiting eagerly to discover what was going to happen next.

If you're a fan of dystopian, or want to read a true children's classic, this is for you.

Don't wait as long as I did to discover The Giver.

** I'm reviewing the audio version of this book, and I felt it was fantastic. The voice and expressions heard felt realistic and not forced. It was incredibly easy to follow and was the perfect thing to listen to while studying for finals.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really liked this book for almost the same reasons as you! The world really creeped me out, seeing how everything was alike and controlled. Hopefully the movie does it justice.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison