Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sing Me To Sleep by: Angela Morrison

Sing Me To Sleep
by: Angela Morrison

THE TRANSFORMATION
Beth has always been “The Beast”—that’s what everyone at school calls her because of her awkward height, facial scars, and thick glasses. Beth’s only friend is geeky, golden-haired Scott. That is, until she’s selected to be her choir’s soprano soloist, and receives the makeover that will change her life forever.
THE LOVE AFFAIR
When Beth’s choir travels to Switzerland, she meets Derek: pale, brooding, totally dreamy. Derek’s untethered passion—for music, and for Beth—leaves her breathless. Because in Derek’s eyes? She’s not The Beast, she’s The Beauty.
THE IMPOSSIBLE CHOICE
When Beth comes home, Scott, her best friend in the world, makes a confession that leaves her completely torn. Should she stand by sweet, steady Scott or follow the dangerous, intense new feelings she has for Derek?
THE HEARTBREAK
The closer Beth gets to Derek, the further away he seems. Then Beth discovers that Derek’s been hiding a dark secret from her …one that could shatter everything.

Review:

So this is the review where my heart breaks just a little. I've been thinking about this book constantly since I read it, I've been gushing to my friends, gushing to my father, and just going crazy gushing to everyone about how amazing it was, but since reading it I have been unable to get it off my mind.

I read it in about 7 hours, it was in one complete sitting and I stayed up until 5 in the morning finishing it which wasn't good for my school schedule, but was completely worth it. I just loved it.
I think the main thing I've been thinking and telling people is just these three words over and over again, It felt real. That's what really got me while reading it, and which caused me to bawl my eyes out for fifteen minutes when it was over. It just felt real.

The relationship between Derek and Beth starts really before they even meet each other. I felt the intensity along with them and it was amazing. It kept me reading through everything, never did I even consider stopping.

I really liked Scott, and I understood him as 'the best friend' everything he did was in his character and it just worked for him.

I've never had such an emotional tie to a book before, when Derek's secret comes out I felt like it was happening to me. I've never just full out cried because of a book before, and even now I'm constantly telling myself,"It's just a book, this didn't really happen" but it's not working really.

I have a feeling this story and this book will stay with me for a very long while.

I would recommend it to everyone, just read it.

10/10

-Christina
P.S. I forgot to my mention my horrifying most embarrassing moment EVER. Well, I was in a very serious competitive Girls Choir (we rocked... or choraled?) we were quite good.

So we were at this amazing event with over 500 people in the audience and we were dressed up and it came to the final number, now anyone who has ever been in a choir knows, or should know to NEVER lock your knees - I knew this, but the girl next to me apparently did not.

We were singing our big finale, Edelweiss which can be emotional and that's what we were going for, when the girl beside me throws up right at our feet. It was quite similar to the Exorcist really and I was horrified. She collapsed after throwing up and I had to stand there, in my brand new pretty shoes with throw up all over everything, finish the song and wait for the curtain call.

Our director obviously saw what happened (as did half the audience) but there was nothing we could do. We had three more separate numbers after this incident and I had to go clean up as much as I could and then go back out there. Horrible, horrible experience - it even tops the time I fell during a Christmas show (it was at a local mall so it was less horrifyingly embarrassing.)

But, the moral of this story is - NEVER lock your knees during a performance, just think of the poor unsuspecting girl beside you.
:)

2 comments:

Lenore Appelhans said...

I think I have this one in my pile somewhere. I certainly hope so at least, after reading your review!

Christina said...

Thanks Lenore! It's probably the best book I've read all year, you should deffinately try to read it soon - with tissues in hand. :)

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison