Monday, March 1, 2010

Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side

Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side
by Beth Fantaskey



The undead can really screw up your senior year ...

Marrying a vampire definitely doesn’t fit into Jessica Packwood’s senior year “get-a-life” plan. But then a bizarre (and incredibly hot) new exchange student named Lucius Vladescu shows up, claiming that Jessica is a Romanian vampire princess by birth—and he’s her long-lost fiancĂ©. Armed with newfound confidence and a copy of Growing Up Undead: A Teen Vampire’s Guide to Dating, Health, and Emotions, Jessica makes a dramatic transition from average American teenager to glam European vampire princess. But when a devious cheerleader sets her sights on Lucius, Jess finds herself fighting to win back her wayward prince, stop a global vampire war—and save Lucius’s soul from eternal destruction.

From Me:

This book reminded me of all of the dreams little girls have when they're eight and nine years old, except with vampires. You know, you day dream that a handsome prince will come tell you you're a princess - it's just what we do. It's a right of passage and I felt reading this book that I was getting a piece of that again.

We had a unsuspecting, and unwilling princess who would rather have the joys of a normal senior year than deal with the vampire world and what they expect from her. I love that she was unwilling, it's different from some books I have read recently where the main character learns this big secret and doesn't seem to suffer at all from the change, this was much more realistic and I loved that aspect.

I didn't know how I felt about Lucius' arogance at first. I know he was royalty and not used to our world but jeez... I felt like I didn't really know Lucius until halfway through the book, but once I did understand him he felt so complex to me.

I like that most of the book was set in America without vampires. I feel like in so many vampire books it's like - "oh you're a vampire, come be apart of us!" and then they wisk you off somewhere. This wasn't the case as Lucius was the only Vampire involved really for most of the book.

If you haven't read this book, I would recommend you read it. I really like Beth Fantaskey's writing style, and Jeckyl Loves Hyde is just as amazing.

I give it an 9.5/10.

-Christina

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison