Friday, March 5, 2010

Mia the Magnificent by: Eileen Bogess

Mia the Magnificent
by: Eileen Boggess


After one summer at the Little Tykes Theatre, Mia Fullerton is meek no more, but that doesn t make her life any easier not in her sophomore year at St. Hilary's, when her best friend Lisa forces her into a dangerously big part in The Music Man. Not when her ex-boyfriend, Tim, is teaching her little brother Chris to treat women like objects. And not when she learns to drive with serious repercussions. Who is Mia? Is she an independent girl like Zoë, her acerbic goth friend from Little Tykes? She d like to be that s why she's volunteering to be onstage for the first time, in a show populated by her first ex and childhood crush Jake, her arch-nemesis Cassie, and new girl in town Alyssa. That s why it's so important she overcome the bizarre driving instruction of St. Hilary's janitor Mr. Corrigan to earn her driver s license, and therefore her freedom. Or is she the girl who misses Tim, even after the way he betrayed her? Tim is smart, funny, and likeable in a distinctly obnoxious way, and he s determined to win Mia back even if he has a funny way of doing so, dating both Cassie and Alyssa at the same time, behind both their backs. Can Mia forgive Tim? Should she instead choose Eric, Zoë s cousin, a nicer and more respectful choice in every way? Or would either choice defeat her goals of independence? And when the worst-case scenarios rear their heads when Mia is forced into the lead in The Music Man, when her first night out on the road goes horribly, when Chris appears headed entirely to the dark side does Mia on her own have what it takes to set things right?

From Me:

When I started this book I wasn't sure what to expect, from the cover I thought it was definitely a middle grade book so I wasn't sure how I would like it as I haven't read a middle grade book since probably elementary school. I wasn't sure if I would still enjoy them, but I was pleasantly surprised.

I like the idea of the theater changing her - I've always been one who found the arts and fun things helpful in getting out there.

This book very much so reminded me of my middle school/early high school years. I suffered from a disease called confusion and I'm not saying Mia suffers from this but I feel like everyone at this age is confused to some degree about life and just the way the world seems to work.

Early high school is really the first taste of the world in some ways as Elementary school you're still a kid, and you act like a kid, and Middle school is full of the awkward growing into yourself years. Early high school however is full of you beginning to become yourself and that's what I really enjoyed being reminded of in this book.

I would recommend it to you if perhaps you have a younger brother or sister, or if you just want to relive that part of your life and have some fun along the way.

-Christina

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison