Wednesday, October 13, 2010

What I Want To See In YA.

I've been seeing this around for a while, people posting about their favorite YA trends and what not, but this is what I would like to see in YA. Not that I'm not in love with it as is (because I LOVE my genre) but because things can always become more amazing.

These are in no particular order.

1.) I want more fantasy! For those of you who know me, you know that I am OBSESSED with fantasy and I want more epic fantasy in YA. Fantasy with everything. Romance, quests, hidden things, I just want fantasy, you know, with maps and everything!

2.) Good guys, not just bad boys. I see the bad guy trend everywhere and I like it in a way because I think it's just girls nature to want the bad boy, but honestly nice guys are just better. You're not gonna change him, sweetie, so go with the good guy. I mean Edward was a nice guy but even he doesn't really qualify because of the whole throat ripping thing.

I just want more nice non throat ripping romances in YA.

3.) More Southern settings! The south is awesome, and quaint and I love it. I want YA to love it too. It was so awesome when I read The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller and it was partly in the south, I just want mountains and trees and creeks and accents! Come to the south some Ya'll!

4.) More foreign settings. I want more traveling books with awesome settings. 13 Little Blue Envelopes style. I just love actually feeling like I'm seeing these places.

5.) More strong female protags! Nothing makes me happier than really strong female protagonists and there are a lot more than there used to be in YA, but I just love them so much I'm putting them on the list. In the style of Yelena from Poison Study, because she's probably my favorite strong female, I want more!

6.) More historical! I love historicals, particularly regencies and I would LOVE to see some more historical in YA. It's one of my favorite genres and I feel that is something we don't see too much unfortunately.


Okay, that's my short list of things I would LOVE to see in YA. Any I missed that you want to see? Let me know!

8 comments:

danya said...

Yes to more epic fantasy! Traditional fantasy that is done well, with creative twists and avoidance of cliches, is always fantastic to read :D

"I just want more nice non throat ripping romances in YA." LOL, wouldn't that be nice? We can hope.

Agree with you about the historicals too...I love the Regency period as well and would happily gobble up some more YA novels set in that era.

Also, I'm loving the trend right now for dystopian YA. It's really taking off (a good thing, because I think I've had just about enough of the typical paranormal YA) and there's so much room for creativity there! And thanks to the Hunger Games popularity I think many other dystopians will be well-received.

Steph said...

I agree with the good guy one! A good example would be Jem from Clockwork Angel. I love that he is the nice guy but I don't think he will cut it in the end :( The rest of your points are great as well! Great post!

Katie (The Literary Files) said...

I LOVE this list! I completely agree, especially about the more good boys and strong female protags!

Amelia said...

good for you! Way to defend the good guys - you are ABSOLUTELY right! Loved this list ;]

brandileigh2003 said...

Have you red the Ruby Notebook? You might like it.

Lori said...

This is a great post! I agree with everything!! Come to the South y'all!! And I would love to see nerdy boys getting the girl! I love nerdy boys! More fantasy! I love Kristen Cashore and I would love to have more books like hers out there!

Ashley @ Book Labyrinth said...

I totally agree with you!!

BookChic said...

Yay for good guys!! While I do love bad boys, I'm not sure I'd ever be able to write them (or be with one in real life). My current paranormal WIP features two good guys (one of them is literally an angel, lol) in the love triangle- when has that ever happened? It's always been good guy vs. bad boy.

Love this list!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison