Sunday, October 10, 2010

[Review] The Body at the Tower by Y.S. Lee

This is another colourful, action-packed Victorian detective novel about the exploits of agent Mary Quinn. At a young age, Mary Quinn is rescued from the gallows and taken to Miss Scrimshaw's Academy for Girls. The school turns out to be a front for a private detective agency. At age 17, Mary takes on her first case (A Spy in the House). In this, the second book of the series, Mary Quinn sets out to uncover the truth behind a suspicious death at St. Stephen's Tower, better known as the clock tower of the Houses of Parliament. The accident occurred after hours in a highly public part of town and despite the presence of night watchmen. Mary, disguised as Mark Quinn, becomes a builder's assistant to find out the truth about the body at the tower.


Rating:





Review:

I can't express enough my love for this series! This second book in The Agency series is no less fascinating than the first and I am in need of the next book in this series!

Mary is such an excellent protagonist and she just became more interesting in this book. I love everything about Mary and in this book we see her having to face and accept aspects of herself and her over all identity. Mary has strength, I can't even imagine doing half of the things she does.

Y.S. Lee is the only writer who has ever just completely stumped me and I thought that maybe in this book I would be able to figure it out... but of course I was wrong. This is a mystery in every sense, and her plot is perfect. I never had any inkling of what was going to happen, I thought I might several times, but of course, I was wrong.

Now, to my favorite aspect of the series...

James.

*Sigh*

For those of you who have noticed James Easton is a very prominent member of my Literary Crushes list and for good reason because James is just amazing and I adore him. He's gotten even better with this book and I was so happy to see James and Mary's relationship change... kinda. Maybe? I have no idea. Ms. Lee, you have me stumped, but I love it and I can't wait to see what happens.

If you haven't read this series yet, what on earth are you waiting for? These books will make you love historical fiction, go read them!

:)

3 comments:

Tara said...

I have heard really great things about this series - definitely adding to my TBR list!

Congratulations - you have been given The Versatile Blogger award!

Lori said...

I'm always hearing such good things about these books! I really need to read them!

StefanieEmmy said...

This book and the previous one are on my wishlist. I just have to read them! Especially after reading your review :D

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison