Friday, September 4, 2015

DNF Reviews: Some You Win, Some You Lose


This is a post I always hate to do. I try to get through every book that comes my way... but unfortunately I can't like everything. 

This post is for books that I just didn't click with. 

Here I will explain why it didn't work for me, but also why it may still work for you. 

Most Likely to Suceed

I think this DNF may be due to the fact that I have not read any other Superlative novel prior to this one. I see so many reviews raving about Sawyer and flailing with excitement about his story... but to me I was totally lost. For me it seemed like the events came out of nowhere, and I was completely taken by surprise when on page five we are already having cupids arrow flying through the air with... feelings. Seriously, there were a lot of feelings and to me they felt very premature.


Most likely because I did not already know these characters... but for those who have, this was probably wonderful.

Maybe one day I will be able to pick this one back up and finish it, but currently I think I will have to move on. 


Until Friday Night

This was a book I was so excited about! We all know that I love the South, football, and love stories. Clearly, this book was supposed to be my book. It screamed, "Christina will like this!" Unfortunately, I just couldn't do it. 

It wasn't the writing, the setting, or anything of that nature. What really made this book not work for me was the use of language towards women... which is a problem I can normally ignore. I get that we live in a patriarchal society and that characters will often times reflect that, but in this case it felt like sexual harassment was actually happening. 

Practically all the guys in this book (from what I saw) used derogatory language towards the women that reflected how sexually appealing they were. This for me was a huge turn off. I feel like I knew guys like this in my small football town growing up... so perhaps that is also one reason why it was particularly hard for me to take. 

There was also quite a bit of telling and little showing that bothered me. There was a ton of internal issues that seemed to repeat themselves over and over and over... I get that people deal with pain in different ways, but is being a sexist pig really one of them? And should that be okay if it is? 

Both of these characters had a ton going on, and it felt like a blast of emotional explosions whenever they began to think. 

That on top of all of the "she's hot as hell, looks like she needs me" comments and I just could not do it. 
You may like this one if you're really into books involving emotional struggle. If you don't mind that some of the language is derogatory then I think you should definitely give it a go! It definitely has potential, I'm just particularly sensitive to statements that make me feel uneasy. 

Now, if this language gets better later on, and the men learn the error of their ways I will revisit this one... so let me know if you've read it and it becomes worth it in the end! 
 
Let me know if you guys have read either of these books and loved them! I am always willing for people to change my mind! 




2 comments:

Kristen said...

It's always so disappointing when people are raving about books and you end up not liking them! I've not heard of either of these, but I'm not to keen on finding out!
Kristen @ One Chapter Ahead

Unknown said...

Omg unfortunately Until Friday Night doesn't get better at all! The only redeeming thing was that the lead guy does get called out on his possessive behavior towards the girl, but the guys still treat the other girls terribly. I was even disappointed how the lead girl just LET them call the other girls slut and tell her how perfect and innocent she is.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison