Wednesday, June 10, 2015

The Sin Eater's Daughter by Melinda Salisbury [Review]

Title: The Sin Eater's Daughter (#1)
Author: Melinda Salisbury
Publisher: Scholastic
Source: Edelweiss for Review
ISBN: 1407147633

I am the perfect weapon.I kill with a single touch.
Twylla is blessed. The Gods have chosen her to marry a prince, and rule the kingdom. But the favour of the Gods has it's price. A deadly poison infuses her skin. Those who anger the queen must die under Twylla's fatal touch.
Only Lief, an outspoken new guard, can see past Twylla's chilling role to the girls she truly is.
Yet in a court as dangerous and the queen's, some truths should not be told...

Review: 

I LOVED this one, but I didn't always. For this review I just have to get that out there on the table. When I began this book I thought it was interesting... but it is a bit on the weird side. There are many ideas/concepts that stick out until you're immersed in the world and initially it may seem like a lot to take in.

If you feel this, please just KEEP READING. The world building is so fantastic that it will all make sense soon.

Now that those warnings are out there, I can fully start to rave!

The world building was incredible, and once I became immersed and I accepted the things that threw me off, I couldn't get enough.

Twylla, our heroine, was born a Sin Eater's Daughter. I have heard of Sin Eater's before, but the way it was illustrated in this book was interesting. The Sin Eater literally eats food to represent the sins of the individual, the more disturbing the sin, the more unsatisfying the food. The Sin Eater's position is passed down through families, so Twylla should be next in line to serve as the Sin Eater... but things happened which makes that not the place.

This is where the world building becomes intense and wonderful. There are so many varying aspects and storylines that go into the story/world building that it can feel a bit overwhelming. Sin Eater's are outcasts, and Twylla has lived off and separated from society, just  to join the court and be separated again due to the God's favor and her ability to kill.

I enjoyed the storyline surrounding Twylla's "gift." I loved that the story was slowly revealed so there were always questions that needed answering. This really moved the story forward and I was often surprised by what I found.

I may be in the minority with this one, but I adored the story of Twylla and Lief. I loved their relationship and I found myself unable to stop reading because I needed to know what would happen. Even with all that took place... I think I still am rooting for them, though I do feel bad for Merek. This is one love triangle that I didn't mind. I loved to love them. All of them. I need them back in my life.

The Queen is a character that really had no redemptive qualities, but more on that when you read the book. :)

Overall: If you love fantasy, love stories, and icky governments that need fixing -- this one is for you! Numerous times I was on the edge of my chair with no idea how it would all work out in the end. Not very often to I care as much about a group of characters as I did about Twylla, Lief, and Merek.  I can't wait to continue the series!

Seriously though, if you guys want to talk about my abundance of feelings for this title, comment below or send me a tweet -- I need to talk about that ending!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison