Saturday, June 19, 2010

In My Mailbox- Week of June 20th

In My Mailbox


As always this post is hosted by Kristi, The Story Siren.


Everyone knows about Anne Frank and her life hidden in the secret annex – but what about the boy who was also trapped there with her? In this powerful and gripping novel, Sharon Dogar explores what this might have been like from Peter’s point of view. What was it like to be forced into hiding with Anne Frank, first to hate her and then to find yourself falling in love with her? Especially with your parents and her parents all watching almost everything you do together.

To know you’re being written about in Anne’s diary, day after day? What’s it like to start questioning your religion, wondering why simply being Jewish inspires such hatred and persecution? Or to just sit and wait and watch while others die, and wish you were fighting. As Peter and Anne become closer and closer in their confined quarters, how can they make sense of what they see happening around them? Anne’s diary ends on August 4, 1944, but Peter’s story takes us on, beyond their betrayal and into the Nazi death camps. He details with accuracy, clarity and compassion the reality of day to day survival in Auschwitz – and ultimately the horrific fates of the Annex’s occupants.

*Have I ever mentioned my complete adoration of Anne Frank? Well, I adore Anne Frank and have since the young age of six when my mother first told me about her. My love surpassed that of my mothers, but she will still watch the movies with me whenever I ask her to. I view Anne as one of my hero's and I'm very jealous I didn't think to write this! I'm sooooo excited for this one. You. Have. No. Idea. :D

4 comments:

Katie said...

I really want to read this one. It looks amazing. I can't wait for your review. Happy reading!

Sherrie said...

Hi!
This sounds like a great book. I'll have to put it on my TBR list. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books
http://sherriesbooks.blogspot.com/2010/06/in-my-mailbox_20.html

kirsty at the overflowing library said...

i want this book a lot - can't wait for it to be released

Sarah said...

I love the sound of this one! I hope you enjoy it & I'll look forward to reading your review :o)

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison