Thursday, April 9, 2009

10 Q's: Jennifer Echols Edition.

Author Jennifer Echols of Going Too Far, The Ex Games, Major Crush and The Boy's Next Door, was kind enough to answer some questions I had for her. Her book Going Too Far is absolutely amazing, and has the highest rating of any book I have reviewed so far.

You can find her Website here- http://www.jennifer-echols.com/index.html


Enjoy :]

---

1. What inspired you to write Going too Far?

I had an idea for a romantic comedy about two teenagers who get in trouble or are doing a report on law enforcement for school...something to get them in the back of a cop car together for a ride-along. As I thought about this, I decided that it would be more interesting to make the romance between one of the teenagers and the cop himself. And then, of course, it wasn’t a comedy anymore.

2. I know some authors listen to music while they write. Are you one of them, or do you prefer peace and quiet during your writing? And just in general what kind of music do you enjoy?

My family is very loud, so I need my iPod to block them out when I write. :) I make a soundtrack for each novel. They usually contain a lot of Incubus. You can listen to the soundtrack for Going Too Far here: http://jennifer-echols.com/goingtoofarchapter.html.

3. How long did it take you to write Going too Far?

About 4 months.

4. Where is the strangest place you have gotten a burst of inspiration?

In December 2004, while I was living in Atlanta, my family and I went to the mall to do some Christmas shopping. My husband very generously took our then-toddler with him so I could get the serious gift-buying done. It was at that moment that I unfortunately had a burst of inspiration. I sat in the cold car in the parking lot and scribbled the very best chapter of Major Crush (chapter 18) on the backs of napkins I found stuffed under the seat. I had to go back and finish my shopping later.

5. Do you have a specific time of day you set aside for writing, or does it happen sporadically?

It can vary but it’s usually in the morning. I am a morning person.

6. How old were you when you began writing, and did you always know this was what you wanted to do?

Every day in first grade we had to copy sentences off the board to practice our handwriting: “Today is Wednesday, April 8. It will be sunny and cool today. Our class will go to the library...” etc. etc. I remember taking the pertinent information from these sentences and composing my own paragraph because the teacher’s was too long. By third grade I was writing a lot of poems, and by fifth grade I was writing short stories. I finished writing my first novel when I was 20. My grandmother was a high school English teacher, an avid reader, a writer, and a terrific role model. It never occurred to me that I couldn’t do this.

7. What is your favorite movie?

The Breakfast Club

8. What is your favorite book?

The Beginning Place by Ursula K. LeGuin

9. Are you working on anything currently?

I just turned in a proposal for a romantic comedy. Next I’ll write a proposal for a more serious book like Going Too Far, but right now I’m taking a few days off, reading a lot, and painting the living room.
10. What is some advice you'd give to young writers wishing to make it a career?

If you can possibly think of another career you’d enjoy, do that instead. It will be easier, I promise. (The real writers ignore this advice and write anyway.)

---
Thank you so much for the amazing interview Jennifer!

-Christina :]

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison