Friday, February 20, 2009

Princess Ben by Catherine Murdock

Princess Ben

by: Catherine Murdock




From Amazon:

Benevolence is not your typical princess and Princess Ben is certainly not your typical fairy tale. With her parents lost to unknown assassins, Princess Ben ends up under the thumb of the conniving Queen Sophia, who is intent on marrying her off to the first available “specimen of imbecilic manhood.” Starved and miserable, locked in the castle’s highest tower, Ben stumbles upon a mysterious enchanted room. So begins her secret education in the magical arts: mastering an obstinate flying broomstick, furtively emptying the castle pantries, setting her hair on fire . . . But Ben’s private adventures are soon overwhelmed by a mortal threat facing the castle and indeed the entire country. Can Princess Ben save her kingdom from annihilation and herself from permanent enslavement?



From Me:



Okay so I got this book for Christmas and I was uber excited - I mean look at the cover? Plus I am a huge fairy tale enthusiast, you have no idea. So when I finally got to reading I expected to be caught up immediately and be taking my brain on an adventure.



Ummm...



Well...



It was good. I enjoyed it, but I did have a hard time with it, alot of it was just unbelievable...and I know that's weird to say considering it's fantasy aspect but nothing had a good enough explanation for me. Everything just happened - and at the perfect time. It was like all of these things happened too conveniently, and maybe I'm suffering from insanity but that's how it was for me. I think that's partly just my flaw moreso then the stories though - I mean I tend to overthink things, and this was one of those cases.



Ben is a great heroin though. I really liked her. She has her flaws, but yet she's a Princess. She's expected to be all of these things for all of these people, but yet she's just not. I like that about her, she's outspoken, determined, and over all a very interesting main character.



The story seemed to be somewhere between a Sleeping Beauty and a Cinderella as far as Ben goes. But with a twist that involves a delightful pinch of magic.



And the Prince Charming - arrogant at first but then amazing at the end, I just wish we had seen more of him. We don't meet him till halfway through and then the good him barely shows himself.



But It was a good book all in all, it had a good amount of adventure, fantasy, a wee bit of mystery,and some romance all thrown into one hardcover package :]



I give it a hmmm I can't really decide. An 8? Yeah that sounds about right <3




Review by Christina*

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison