Monday, February 23, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Heroines I LOVE


Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

When I think of heroines I think of classic fantasy, epic tales where dragons are battled and kingdoms saved. 

I will try to expand pass that realm in this post because every genre deserves some powerful woman love! 

1.Yelena from Poison Study
I love Yelena! The Study Series is one that has completely stuck with me over the years! I still haven't gotten my hands on the newest one (AHH). The reason I'm choosing Yelena is her fierceness and inability to give up. She is one character that never accepted second best and she never let any obstacle get in her way. 


2. Rose from Vampire Academy
I read the Vampire Academy in high school, and it was practically my obsession for a good two years. Rose was such a powerful protagonist and she really proved power through sheer strength physically and emotionally over and over and over. Rose is a bad A**. There is no other word for it. 



3. Katsa from Graceling
This is one heroine who truly sets the bar for power and strength. When I think of classic Fantasy in YA, I think of Graceling and Katsa did not disappoint in any department. She was strong, willing, able, and strove always for what was right. I loved everything about Graceling while I was reading it, and I still often long to go back to the world that Kristen Cashore created. 


4. Scarlett from Gone With the Wind
We all knew I couldn't get through a heroine list without mentioning Scarlett! Scarlett is a different kind of heroine, she expresses a true strength of will and does anything in order to survive. The true story of Gone With the Wind is a struggle for humanity. Scarlett is complex but she is most certainly not week in any way. Her strength to survive is uncanny, and that is why she is a heroine for all the lists. Click here to find more about my love of Gone With the Wind! I wrote a whole post about it.


5. Anne from Anne of Green Gables
Oh, how I love that Anne girl! She would never be the same as a Cordelia, and this heroine is one who enchants us for pages and then continues for a lifetime! I can scarcely go through a full day without having Anne references pass through my head. She is wonderful and has given me so much joy. Plus, her and Gilbert are perfect. So. So. perfect. 



6. Hermione from Harry Potter
I love her. I just do. She's me if I were cooler. I feel the Hermione in me come out all the time, I'm always super into accomplishing everything (which is how I end up in college, working, blogging, and having a very small business). We're just crazy people. And I love that she made me know that was okay. 

7. Ella from Ella Enchanted
This one may seem weird, but when I was a kid Ella Enchanted was my thing. I loved the book and when a movie happened I was in heaven. It was practically my perfect book at that age, not too tough and fabulous. I love Ella, and in some small way she shaped a huge part of my childhood and made me who I am. 


8. Holly from Breakfast at Tiffany's
I did an entire post about this recently, so it should come as no surprise. I love Holly. If you want to hear my rant click here. I love how simply complicated she is, and her inability to see it. 


9. Meira from Snow Like Ashes
This is a new heroine to love! I really enjoyed Snow Like Ashes, the world, the story telling, and Meira are all wonderful contributions to my list of favorite stories! I loved Meira's persistence and her constant search for understanding. I'm so excited for the sequel! 



10. Catwoman from Catwoman When in Rome
I know this one is super weird. I'm a comic fan too, and Catwoman has a story to tell. Whether she is a villain or an ally is a bit of a stickier issue, but in this comic especially we see her inner turmoil and her struggle with Bruce Wayne. We see the need to know who she is and where she comes from. We see true depth to a character that previously could have been written off as unimportant. I love Catwoman. Hear me meow! 


What are your Top Ten favorite Heroines? 

I would love to hear about them in the comments! 











5 comments:

Unknown said...

yay for Rose and Hermione!! I had to add Rose to my list. I loved her and the series itself. and there was no way Hermione would not be on my list!!

My TTT

Amber @ Paradise of Pages

Lori said...

What a great list! Confession time: I read Poison Study forever ago (pre blogging) and didn't love it. I think I need to give it another chance. I'd probably like it more now.

Carlisa said...

Poison Study is on my TBR list! Also I'm glad you put Ella from Ella Enchanted. Gail Carson Levine was the first author that made me really love reading!
My TTT

Micheline said...

Hermione was one I gave a shout out to as well this week ♥ But OMG I love how you gave props to Anne AND Catwoman!! :D Perfection right there^^ I still need to read Snow Like Ashes, Poison Study, Vampire Academy and Graceling though but I own them all and I'm hoping to get to them asap! Awesome picks^^

Micheline @ Lunar Rainbows Reviews

Krystianna said...

Great list! Rose and Hermione are great picks. I really need to read the rest of the Vampire Academy series! I've only read the first book. I've been meaning to check out Snow Like Ashes. I hope you have a great week!
Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison