Thursday, June 19, 2014

Hexed by Michelle Krys [Review]

Title: Hexed
Author: Michelle Krys
Publisher: Delacourte Press
Published: June 10, 2014
Series: The Witch Hunter #1
ISBN:  0385743378
 Buy it Here
If high school is all about social status, Indigo Blackwood has it made. Sure, her quirky mom owns an occult shop, and a nerd just won’t stop trying to be her friend, but Indie is a popular cheerleader with a football-star boyfriend and a social circle powerful enough to ruin everyone at school. Who wouldn’t want to be her?

Then a guy dies right before her eyes. And the dusty old family Bible her mom is freakishly possessive of is stolen. But it’s when a frustratingly sexy stranger named Bishop enters Indie’s world that she learns her destiny involves a lot more than pom-poms and parties. If she doesn’t get the Bible back, every witch on the planet will die. And that’s seriously bad news for Indie, because according to Bishop, she’s a witch too.

Suddenly forced into a centuries-old war between witches and sorcerers, Indie’s about to uncover the many dark truths about her life—and a future unlike any she ever imagined on top of the cheer pyramid.

This title was so-so. When I began it I felt unsure about it, the cheerleader aspect in the beginning was making me dread a silly high school drama that exclaimed, "Oh my god! Let's be witches!" Thankfully, that didn't happen and I did end up enjoying it.

At times it sped up and I was reading quickly, at others it slowed to a snail's pace and I wondered what was happening.

It really was a mixture of emotions in every way for me, I finished it which says something, but it doesn't stand out in my mind as a great title.

A huge event happens towards the middle, and I did find the follow up to it being a bit odd - the character recovers maybe a bit too quickly for what would seem realistic. I felt the main character trusts people emotionally too quickly which turned me off to some scenes and some relationships.

There were actual "bad guys" in this book which is different. The bad guys steal the Bible and it must be saved! That sums it up, but their is a bit of intrigue a dash of strange romance, and all in all, it is an okay read.

Overall: It's descent. Will I read the second one? Maybe if it is offered to me, but I probably will not be seeking it out.

If you enjoy... 
Witches, Paranormal Romance, or High School drama you will probably enjoy this title.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Oh good, I'm so sick of everyone "loving" this book. It was so-so. I agree she got over the tragic event WAY too fast. All of it was really unbelievable and made for an odd read.

Christina said...

Thank you! I agree, I really didn't get it. It WAS okay, but that is really all I can say about it. haha

Sarah@Catching Books said...

I've heard mixed things about this book..maybe I'll read it later in the summer!
http://sarahcatchingbooks.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison