Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Fallen by Lauren Kate

Fallen
by Lauren Kate



There’s something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price’s attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He’s the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.

Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce–and goes out of his way to make that very clear–she can’t let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.

Rating: D
Source: Bought.

Review:

I wish I could say that I liked this book more but it just wasn't cutting it with me. I tried. I really, really tried to love this book but it just didn't hold the emotion I was longing for and it didn't have the aching heartbreaking romance I was expecting from the summary so I was relatively disappointed.

The summary sounded so amazing and I felt like it held a lot of promise in that department. It takes place in a reform school for goodness sake! That holds lots and lots of hopeful goodness!

Luce didn't feel real, I felt like she was living in a kind of alternate reality because she didn't feel anything. Her past leads me to think she should have had a harder time transitioning but she didn't and that bothered me. Her friends, her parents, even Daniel who she's pining over (God only knows why) never cross her mind in anything that seemed tangibly real. Her thoughts were just too irrelevant to make me believe she was really sincere about anything. She was nice, but I couldn't believe her emotions.

Daniel felt fake to me. One second he was on and the next he was off and if there is something that is unappealing it is that. He was far too wishy washy and I didn't feel like he was as tortured as he would like us all to have believed. For the first chapter I had such high hopes but then they just never got fulfilled after that.

I couldn't keep track of who was her friend and who wasn't. One second she was really close to someone, and then the next she was close to someone else. I wish there had been some constant friend and someone to at least help me know what was going on.

I didn't completely not like this book though, the idea and the actual story (once it came out) were good, it was just getting there and understanding it which was the problem.

I wanted more characterization, and far more emotion. That was my main problem I really just wanted to feel something, and I didn't.

I don't know if I'll read Torment. My gut tells me I will just simply because I started this series and therefore I want to see it through. Maybe there will be more epicness in Torment, and that is enough to tell me I'll read it.

I would love to hear what you all thought of it! Any Fallen lovers out there?

-Christina

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved the plot of this book and I found Daniel super intriguing as well. Although I agree with the lack of character depth. Luce was alright in the beginning but the closer she got to Daniel the more blah she became. I find that I read these kinds of books more for the plot than anything else you know? Not that there aren't fantastic characters contained within paranormal/mystery/suspense/etc books because there are but for me, my favourite characters are usually found within contemporary novels.

Anonymous said...

I wanted to throw this book across the room. I wanted to like it so bad but I waited and waited for explanation and direction and answers but never got any. You can read my full review/rant on my blog if you want :)

sarah darlington said...

I actually really liked this one. I gave it 5/5 on my site. But I can see what you mean. Daniel was sort of wishy washy.

Adriana said...

I felt the same as you when I read Fallen. I really wanted to like it, but it just didn't work out. I'm also not sure if I'll be reading Torment.

The Library Lurker said...

I liked this more than I thought I would. I think it's because I went in with super low expectations and didn't take anything too seriously. I'm looking forward to Torment, but we'll see how it goes...at least the covers are gorgeous!

kirsty at the overflowing library said...

i wasn't keen but like you I wanted to love it - I will probably read the second one but I won't be preordering it

Candace said...

SO many people felt this way! I was expecting to but I ended up loving it! It just shows, we can't all love or hate the same books!

Tina said...

Loved your review! Even though it was critical, it was still honest.

I've just started to pick this book up. Some people have said it's amazing, but others are saying that it's just too cliched.

Twilight much? ;)

The cover is beautiful, though.

Happy reading!
●▬▬▬๑۩Tina @ Book Couture۩๑▬▬▬▬●

Ava said...

Great review! I felt the same way! I just reviewed this one too, but I pretty much agree with you. I wanted to like it, but the characters...well, yeah, you know what I mean. :)

Chelsey said...

i think you had an honest review, and i like you for that. for me, the book had a slow beggining, but i loved it in the end. although, i do agree daniel was a little bit fake :)
can`t wait for tormented

Anonymous said...

Oh, I like your review! very through :)
I was never attracted to this book but your review was very good!

Happy Book Blog Hop!

DJ D. said...

Even though I love this book, I enjoyed reading your review. The character I liked the most was Penn and I think you should try Torment. I thought it was better. :-)

Ashley @ Book Labyrinth said...

Good review! I really hate it when characters don't feel real to me.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison