Monday, August 30, 2010

The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller [Review]

The Eternal Ones
by Kirsten Miller


Haven Moore can’t control her visions of a past with a boy called Ethan, and a life in New York that ended in fiery tragedy. In our present, she designs beautiful dresses for her classmates with her best friend Beau. Dressmaking keeps her sane, since she lives with her widowed and heartbroken mother in her tyrannical grandmother’s house in Snope City, a tiny town in Tennessee. Then an impossible group of coincidences conspire to force her to flee to New York, to discover who she is, and who she was.

In New York, Haven meets Iain Morrow and is swept into an epic love affair that feels both deeply fated and terribly dangerous. Iain is suspected of murdering a rock star and Haven wonders, could he have murdered her in a past life? She visits the Ouroboros Society and discovers a murky world of reincarnation that stretches across millennia. Haven must discover the secrets hidden in her past lives, and loves¸ before all is lost and the cycle begins again.


Rating: A+
Source: From Publisher for review.
Release Date: August 10, 2010

Review:

For those of you who have been following my blog over the past few months you know The Eternal Ones was a novel I was dying for this summer. It did not disappoint and it is definitely one of my favorites of 2010.

The first thing that struck me about this novel was the beginning location. I loved the time we spent in Tennessee and I'm not just saying that because I'm a Tennessee native (go Vols!) but it was a refreshing atmosphere that I don't see very much of in YA. Granted, some of the things in the Tennessee town were exaggerated but most of it was dead on.

Haven and Beau never fit the Snope City norm and I spent quite a bit of time in these first few chapters despising Haven's grandmother for her own actions. They were a God fearing society, but I saw no love in what was dispensed on Haven and her supposedly demon possessed self. Snope City seemed to be such a small town that I believed that just this thing could happen, and Haven's blackouts and Ethan moments were sure to turn the town into a fit.

I felt like Haven was a strong character, perhaps a bit naive, but strong. It takes courage and strength to live in a place where everyone is against you and Haven never seemed to lose her focus and need to make it to New York.

When Haven is finally in New York City and Ian Morrow comes into the picture there are many swoon worthy moments, but I wasn't sure whether I liked him at first. I wanted him to be more straight forward, and less of a secret keeper but the farther you get into the book the more you understand him and by the end I was quite enamored with Ian Morrow. Although, I do wish we could have seen their relationship develop further in this book I have a feeling we will get to see more about them and the relationship in the sequel.

Beau was the friend I wish I'd had in high school and he was such a funny part of this novel. I really think every moment he was involved made me smile or laugh and he may be my favorite character. He was just so much fun!

I loved the mystery throughout the book and how the visions seemed to gradually put the pieces together. It constantly kept me guessing and the ending took me by surprise.

I loved the Eternal Ones! If you haven't read it yet what are you waiting for? You won't be disappointed. :)

-Christina

1 comments:

Leanna Elle said...

I loved this book too. I can't wait for the sequel!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison