Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Shrinking Violet by: Danielle Joseph -Review


Shrinking Violet

by: Danielle Joseph


High school senior Teresa Adams is so painfully shy that she dreads speaking to anyone in the hallways or getting called on in class. But in the privacy of her bedroom with her iPod in hand, she rocks out -- doing mock broadcasts for Miami's hottest FM radio station, which happens to be owned by her stepfather. When a slot opens up at The SLAM, Tere surprises herself by blossoming behind the mike into confident, sexy Sweet T -- and to everyone's shock, she's a hit! Even Gavin, the only guy in school who she dares to talk to, raves about the mysterious DJ's awesome taste in music. But when The SLAM announces a songwriting contest -- and a prom date with Sweet T is the grand prize -- Sweet T's dream could turn into Tere's worst nightmare.... (from Amazon)

From Me:

Okay so I loved this book. We lost power when I was about 20 pages in, so what did I do the rest of the day? I sat down and read the rest of it, which I think just helped me really like the story.

It focuses on Tere, and Tere has a problem. She wants to be a radio DJ, but doesn't like to speak infront of people. I can really relate to this aspect of Tere because I to, am not the most likely person to come up and say hi (I have a very weird fear of calling people...) so I knew how she felt.

The story reads quick, there wasn't a time I wanted to stop because I was bored. I was entertained throughout the entire thing, and normally theres at least a slight slump, but for this one I didn't experience that.

Reading this book made me want to be a DJ, and I learned alot about what exactly happens at the radio stations (you mean they don't just press play on a Cd??) and really loved the characters there, especially Derek. Derek is exactly the type of guy I would picture being a DJ, and he was just a insanely funny character.

I loved the Helen Keller references as I felt that Tere really could relate to Helen Keller, and I loved the empowering message she seemed to give out.

The romance was also really sweet. I liked the way she thought about him, and really enjoyed being in her head.

All in all it was a really great read and I recommend you go buy it when it hits the shelves May 5.

I give it a 10 because I really enjoyed it, and it was ALOT of fun to read :]

-Christina.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

I loved this one too!

Bookworm said...

I really, really want to read this--I just love how it sounds!

prophecygirl said...

I pre-ordered this last night - it sounds so cool. Thanks for the review!

Liyana said...

This sounds interesting, and I definitely want to read it!

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison