Saturday, April 25, 2009

Miss Delacourt Speaks Her Mind by: Heidi Ashworth Review


Miss Delacourt Speaks Her Mind
by: Heidi Ashworth

A dashing rogue and a fiery heroine spar in Ashworth's charming Regency-era historical romance debut. Sir Anthony Crenshaw reluctantly accompanies Ginny Delacourt into the countryside at the request of his grandmother, who is trying to play matchmaker. But Crenshaw's mask of etiquette drives the spitfire Delacourt mad, and they can barely stand each other. When highwaymen accost the pair and force them to seek shelter at a local estate, they meet Lucinda Barrington and Lord Avery, lovers destined to marry, if only they can get past their foolish need for drama. Crenshaw and Delacourt begin to fall for each other, though their courtship is complicated by the attentions of both Barrington and Avery. The subplot involving Lord Avery and Lucinda Barrington elevates Ashworth's story above the genre's usual fare and the couple is a natural foil to Delacourt and Crenshaw. Their presence provides genre fans the opportunity to laugh at familiar circumstances taken to absurd extremes

From Me:

Okay, so I REALLY enjoyed this book.

I really enjoy regency era books, but it was the most universal regency era book I have ever read. Now, I dont know if "universal" is a good word for it, but it's the only one that comes to mind. It had humor, romance, intrigue, some slight mystery...it was just so much more then a regency book.

So it doesn't just fall into that same category as so many other regencies. The language doesn't drag, the plot is not predictable, and the characters keep you guessing. Just when I thought I had a hold on someone they would surprise me, and it was a good surprise, and not out of character at all.

I have read Georgette Heyer, and I have read Jane Austen. At least compared to the Georgette Heyer I have read, I found this book far more interesting, and as far as Jane Austen goes...well. I think she would have been proud.

I really enjoyed the characters of Ginny, and Lucinda. I can't really tell you why. Ginny was so sensible, and Lucinda...just very off the wall. She really reminded me of a cousin of mine, just in the way she seemed to view the world and sort things out in her head. She never thought things through, or at least that's the impression I got, and the outcome was always very enjoyable. :]
And the guys were just as good. I loved every opportunity to get inside of Sir Anthony's head. Lord Avery liked to blubber, but it worked for him, which was strange. It didn't bug me at all because he was that kind of person haha. He was just a person who was emotional...and liked to cry.

I can't express how excited I am that this is not the end of the story. I felt while reading it that it could have been, the ending was satisfying...but I do want more. I can't wait to see where she takes it from here, and am extremely excited to read some more of Heidi Ashworth's work.

Another thing, Heidi Ashworth is deffinately one of the kindest authors I have had the fortune of communicating with, so props to her for being nice, and being a good writer.

I really enjoyed this books so...it gets a 10. I feel like I give these alot, but rest assured I always mean them :]

Thanks!

-Christina

4 comments:

Melissa O. said...

This sounds interesting! I adore Georgette Heyer but have always wanted to find another author of Regencies to enjoy. I've added it to my wishlist, so perhaps I'll get around to reading it one of these days :-)

Great review!!

Heidi said...

Christina, you rock! What a great review! I mean, aside from the fact that you said nice things about my book (wiping a tear . . .) you really hit some great points that other reviewers have not. I'm thrilled! I'll be linking to this sometime this week--since I just got home from a very fun bloggy friend book signing thing, I am tired and behind on Abotively Posilutely Everything! Love you! Heidi

Laina said...

I love the cover of this, it's gorgeous and the book sounds good, too, which is always a plus. :P ;) XD (Sorry, msn habit.)

Llehn said...

I have to admit that I've never read a regency book before. Time to try?

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison