Thursday, May 7, 2015

City Love by Susane Colasanti [DNF Review]

Title: City Love
Author: Susane Colasanti
Source: From Publisher for honest review.
Rating: Did Not Finish
Release Date: April 21, 2015
Sadie, Darcy, and Rosanna are living together in New York City the summer before their freshman year of college begins. With no parents, no rules, and an entire city to explore, these three girls are on the verge of the best summer of their lives.
Sadie is a native New Yorker. She is hopeful, romantic, and an eternal optimist who is ready to find her soul mate. Then she meets her dream boy: cute, funny, and quirky in all the right ways. The chemistry between them is unreal. Could he be the one?
Darcy is a free spirit from SoCal with rebellious tendencies and unlimited financial resources. Moving to New York City is just another adventure for her. Darcy wants this summer to be all about boy adventures—nothing serious. But how much fun is too much?
Rosanna leaves Chicago for NYC so she can put her past behind her and reinvent herself. The only thing standing in her way is the grand total of seventy-three cents she has saved. Then she meets a guy who wants to show her the glamorous side of New York—a side that she would never get to experience on her own. If Rosanna doesn't resist, she may find herself in city love.

City Love started off with promise but it slowly lost me. I made it 40% of the way through and no longer cared about what the characters were doing, or what was going to happen to them. My problems with this title are as follows:

1.) Insta-Love: There's some insta-love in this book, and I just don't do insta-love anymore. Don't get me wrong, I love to love love stories, but I want the stories to be realistic. While I do think that the insta-love is being used to display the "newness" of New York City... I just couldn't get past it. It felt like it was everywhere and it was just too much.

2.) Hard to Follow: I liked that the story was told from alternating perspectives, but the character's voices really blended together for me. I found myself confused as to who was talking. I don't often stop reading at chapter breaks, so I found myself unable to decipher who was narrating when I began reading again. This was just frustrating, and it may be a completely me issue.

3.) Unbelievable: I didn't become indebted in these character's lives like I feel I should have. The girls didn't stand out. Half-way through the book I was not sure what the point was as it felt entirely based on romantic relationships and not the friendships which were described.

Ultimately, if you're a fan of love stories and multiple relationships in a single package this book is for you! I believe the majority of the issues I found in this title were "me" problems. I'm 23, so childish relationships where the guy seems perfect outwardly and you fall head over heels just isn't my thing anymore. I didn't feel enough depth which I think was my real issue, and ultimately that was what made me stop reading.

If you love stories that take place in the Big Apple, you should definitely check this one out! I loved the NYC images in this one and that was one aspect I definitely would not change.

Have you guys read this one? Were these issues just me? Comment below with the answers! 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison