Friday, September 5, 2014

Let's Talk: Balancing Hats and Growing Up

It's late at night and I find myself looking at the same screen I have so many days before. I can hear my dog downstairs, letting me know that he has business to attend to as well. I'm not the only one working in this house, clearly. As I walk down the stairs I realize that I have, once again, forgotten to put the clothes in the dryer.

That's only been waiting for three hours.

This is how my days go. Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

I feel like I wear a lot of hats.
And I'm not just talking about the fantastic super-hero head bands I make out of hats.

By day I am a college student, who sometimes forgets to pay her cable bill on time. I am also an intern  and a leader at a super popular "quick-service" restaurant that will soon be receiving a brand new hat... at a super awesome new work location. 

I am a hard worker, and I dedicate extreme amounts of time to what I need to do, my personal life often takes a back burner to these other more important ventures. I don't regret this or want to change it in anyway, I am who I am after all, but sometimes I look back on the years that have passed me and I get confused. 

I'm a senior in college, who because of a major switch and an added degree, is graduating later than those I went to high school with. Instead of bothering me though, this actually makes me feel relieved. 

With each one of my hats comes another way for life to change. Another added responsibility, another group of people for me to become involved with. 

As a southern girl raised in a small-ish Tennessee town, I grew up with the exact same faces surrounding me for the majority of my life. I knew everyone, and everyone knew me. I knew who'd stolen the cookies from the teacher that one time in first grade, I knew who was on the honor roll every year, and I knew who was our senior class president. 

Going from this security into a brand new, and even partially scary adventure is both thrilling and nerve racking. 

I put in my notice at the job that I've had for nearly four years, and while I am excited to move on to bigger and better things, my heart still breaks because this is another group of people I have come to love and care for over the years. 

Most of us are in the process of growing up, for all of our lives we are growing from one person to another. How do you guys deal with the emotions that get involved? 

Words can't express how excited I am to be entering the business world at a company that impacts in a big way. I feel blessed and very, very happy. I just sometimes find myself missing all of the people I was before. 

How do you guys deal with balancing the hats in your life? 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison