Thursday, October 2, 2014

Snow Like Ashes by Sara Raasch [Book Review]

Title: Snow Like Ashes
Author: Sara Raasch
ISBN: 0062286927 
Publisher: Balzer + Bray


A heartbroken girl. A fierce warrior. A hero in the making.
Sixteen years ago the Kingdom of Winter was conquered and its citizens enslaved, leaving them without magic or a monarch. Now, the Winterians’ only hope for freedom is the eight survivors who managed to escape, and who have been waiting for the opportunity to steal back Winter’s magic and rebuild the kingdom ever since.
Orphaned as an infant during Winter’s defeat, Meira has lived her whole life as a refugee, raised by the Winterians’ general, Sir. Training to be a warrior—and desperately in love with her best friend, and future king, Mather — she would do anything to help her kingdom rise to power again.
So when scouts discover the location of the ancient locket that can restore Winter’s magic, Meira decides to go after it herself. Finally, she’s scaling towers, fighting enemy soldiers, and serving her kingdom just as she’s always dreamed she would. But the mission doesn’t go as planned, and Meira soon finds herself thrust into a world of evil magic and dangerous politics – and ultimately comes to realize that her destiny is not, never has been, her own.

You know those books that you obsess over for months, and literally feel the need for them swell within your being until they are safely in your grasp? Snow Like Ashes was that book for me. So often we do these books up so much in our heads we  end up disappointed. Luckily for me, Snow Like Ashes was fantastic. Incredible. Amazing. I NEED THE NEXT ONE NOW.

I never know what to do with myself when I start a book I've been wanting for a long time. Part of me is thrilled and elated, while another part of me tries hard to get the past few months out of my mind. Just because I have been obsessing for months on Twitter, does not guarantee a like. Thankfully, Snow Like Ashes started giving me no choice but to fall in love.

I love when books start in the middle of the action. Long past are the days where information dumping is acceptable. As a reader I appreciate when information dumps are at a minimum. I don't need to know every decision that lead to the world of today, we'll get there. Snow Like Ashes really understood this.

Immediately the reader is greeted with this band of refugees ready to get back to their kingdom. You can feel the tension in the air, and feel the want of every person to just be home again. Our heroine, Meira, was just an infant when Winter fell. Her idea of her homeland exists just from the stories she has heard growing up.

There are feelings between herself and her "will be king," Mather, but he was also the only guy around for... ever. She's grown up with him and their relationship is natural. I loved the use of relationships in this book and I have questions that need answering because I became so indebted. I really love Theron's character and I was surprised to love Meira's and his interactions so much. I have questions and I need them answered!

Meira is a powerful heroine, and in every situation she is thrust in she gives her all. The twist at the end was one that I wondered about for a while when I was reading and I was happy to see it come to fruititon. I'm pretty sure I fist pumped the air and squealed with happiness.

If you haven't read this one yet, you are missing out on the best YA fantasy I have read in years.

Months ago when I told Twitter that I thought SNOW LIKE ASHES was the book my heart wanted, I was right. My heart is happy, and eager to continue the adventures!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison