Friday, May 15, 2009

The Summer I Turned Pretty by: Jenny Han

The Summer I Turned Pretty
by: Jenny Han

From Amazon:

Some summers are just destined to be pretty
Belly measures her life in summers. Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August. Winters are simply a time to count the weeks until the next summer, a place away from the beach house, away from Susannah, and most importantly, away from Jeremiah and Conrad. They are the boys that Belly has known since her very first summer -- they have been her brother figures, her crushes, and everything in between. But one summer, one wonderful and terrible summer, the more everything changes, the more it all ends up just the way it should have been all along.



From Me:

This book was exactly what I wanted to read. I went to Barnes and Noble and debated with myself for at least 20 minutes trying to decide whether to buy this or not...but my book loving self beat my sensible money saving side.

Then, about 24 hours later I had it read.

Is that a good thing? For me yeah.

It's not a really short book. It's 246 pages long and it was the perfect early summer read. I loved the setting, and the characters...although I'm not entirely sure about how they carried themselves always. Conrad was very wishy washy. One minute I liked him, and then the next I didn't. He went between two extremes - being a jerk, and then being completely adorable. It sat okay with me though, just simply because I know someone like that, but I'm not sure how every reader would like that.


Also the main character's name bugged me. I mean...Belly? Her name was Isabella and I know it was supposed to be like she was always seen as a kid but...Belly?! Why not Bell? Bella? Issy? Isabella? goodness.

But I did enjoy the book. The feelings were good, the emotion was powerful, and it wasn't light and fluffy. It was good and I would recommend it to anyone searching for a good summertime read about Love and Friendship...and all things in between.


I give it a 8/10.

-Christina :]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really excited to read this one. It sounds like the perfect summer read plus the cover is so pretty haha. Thanks for the review! =D

Llehn said...

Oh yay! This book is winging its way to me and now I can't wait to read it.

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison