Thursday, July 30, 2015

Storm Siren by Mary Weber [Book Review]

Title: Storm Siren
Author: Mary Weber
Series: Storm Siren #1
Released: August 19, 2014
Source: Received from Publisher for honest review.

“I raise my chin as the buyers stare. Yes. Look. You don’t want me. Because, eventually, accidentally, I will destroy you.”
In a world at war, a slave girl’s lethal curse could become one kingdom’s weapon of salvation. If the curse—and the girl—can be controlled.
As a slave in the war-weary kingdom of Faelen, seventeen-year-old Nym isn’t merely devoid of rights, her Elemental kind are only born male and always killed at birth — meaning, she shouldn’t even exist.
Standing on the auction block beneath smoke-drenched mountains, Nym faces her fifteenth sell. But when her hood is removed and her storm-summoning killing curse revealed, Nym is snatched up by a court advisor and given a choice: be trained as the weapon Faelen needs to win the war, or be killed.
Choosing the former, Nym is unleashed into a world of politics, bizarre parties, and rumors of an evil more sinister than she’s being prepared to fight . . . not to mention the handsome trainer whose dark secrets lie behind a mysterious ability to calm every lightning strike she summons.
But what if she doesn’t want to be the weapon they’ve all been waiting for?
Set in a beautifully eclectic world of suspicion, super abilities, and monsters, Storm Siren is a story of power. And whoever controls that power will win.

I thought this book sounded very interesting based on the synopsis, but when beginning it I did not realize I would become so indebted to Nym's world and her story! I read it relatively quickly, finding myself flipping through pages wanting to see what happened next and I think the beginning really makes that an emotion which many will feel.

From the very first page you are transported to this other world and the story is fascinating.

If I were to compare this book to other fantasies that are out there, I would say it is as if Poison Study, and Graceling had a baby and you added water.  There is a lot of story with this one, and I felt as if there was always more going on.

Nym has been suffering for years with the guilt that she feels as an elemental without control. She has lost control with devastating repercussions and the novel begins with her feeling separated and very much alone. The path that she takes and the progress she makes with herself was what really had me indebted to this novel.  I enjoyed Nym, and I wanted to know about HER story. Elementals in her world are killed at birth, so her very existence puts her in danger. These aspects of the novel really helped push it forward and lead to a well rounded story where the plot made sense.

The villain-ess felt a bit stoic and was not well rounded. I like villains who have depth, and this one just didn't really have it. I'm hoping that in the next installment the villain's are fleshed out a bit more and more about each side can be included.

Also, the romance threw me off quite a bit as I felt like it was a bit forced for the sake of including a romance. I didn't think it was completely out of left field, but I do wish there had been more build up. It did not occur particularly early in the novel so it was not an insta-love situation, but it did in ways appear when I did not expect it.

THAT ENDING THOUGH.

The ending will leave you in distress for a need to know more. I can't really express too much, but any doubts I had about finishing the series went away with that final page. I need to read the next one, and I need to know what happens.

Ultimately, if you're a fan of fantasy and you're looking for a different concept this book should be checked out. I am interested to see where the next installments take Nym!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison