Sunday, March 28, 2010

Author Interviews: Jenny Moss Edition

*Today we have with us Jenny Moss the author of the upcoming release Shadow (!) which is full of castly intrigue, adventure, dark secrets, and a smackling of love. :)

C: What gave you the idea for Shadow?

J: I'd read the book THE OTHER BOLEYN GIRL by Philippa Gregory and loved all the castle intrigue. So I wanted to have fun with my own story.

C: Why did you choose the setting?

J: Creating my own kingdom appealed to me. I got to draw maps. :)

C: What is your writing process like?

J: It changes. For SHADOW, I wrote a skeleton draft and then revised many times.

C: Favorite Music?

J: I'm in awe of Bob Dylan, but enjoy different artists. The last CD I bought was one of Austin musician Ginger Leigh's.

C: Movies?

J: I love movies. The ones I rewatch the most: PERSUASION, SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE, NOTTING HILL

C: When did you know you wanted to be a writer?

J: I can't remember a time when I didn't want to be a writer.

C: How long did it take you to write Shadow?

J: I was working on two books at the same time. It took me about 2.5 years to finish both of them.

C: What is your favorite book?

J: The book I most admire is BELOVED by Toni Morrison.

C: What is one of your most embarrasing moments?

J: I came home from work one day with a huge split in the back of my pants, which I didn't realize until I changed out of my work clothes.

C: If you could have any guest over for dinner, dead or alive, who would it be?

J: I'd be very nervous, but Bob Dylan.

C: What would you consider to be the hardest thing about writing?

J: Deadlines. Because I have an April 1st deadline for a manuscript right now. :)

C: The easiest?

J: Finding the characters.

C: Which of your characters do you feel is most like you?

J: My daughter tells me she sees similarities between me and Winnie in WINNIE'S WAR, my first book. I don't see it as much.

C: What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?

J: To go beyond that first draft - and to really have fun with the process.

*Thank you so much Jenny for the awesome interview and everyone be sure to check out my review for Shadow!
http://books-are-life-reviews.blogspot.com/2010/03/shadow-by-jenny-moss_09.html

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the interview, Christina. It was fun. :)

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images from the In the Castle and Story Book Castle by Lorie Davison